    That could upset some people.

    * but high ISO performance in raw files is only one aspect of sensor
    performance.

    Me, May 5, 2011

  2. []
    Your image showed that the newer camera has a higher resolution at a
    similar noise level. You showed the scenes at different magnifications.
    Paul's show the same "print" size (number of pixels across the object),
    and the newer camera had significantly less noise.

    David

    David J Taylor, May 5, 2011

  3. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    My "courage" never deserted me. I'm just back from a 'working
    vacation' to refresh my landscape stock images for a particular part
    of the UK (East Anglia), plus I had a day in London at the royal
    wedding. I had very little time for Usenet newsgroups during what
    turned out to be a very busy week - I am glad to be back for a rest.

    So I haven't seen your ruler shots, but I will.

    Bruce, May 5, 2011
  4. RichA

    RichA Guest

    It was a continuation of the same post you criticized. Basic fact, it
    proved what my original post showed, that the Nikon lens has a deeper
    DOF than the other lens, even thought it sports the "same" focal ratio
    and focal length.

    RichA, May 6, 2011
  5. []
    ... and yet the exposure on the Nikon shot was several times longer than
    the others, rather suggesting a much smaller actual aperture. DoF should
    depend just on the lens geometry, although the bokeh may not.

    David

    David J Taylor, May 6, 2011
  6. []
    If the exposure was longer, the aperture must have been smaller (given the
    same ISO).

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, May 10, 2011
  7. []
    Your implication was that there had been no progress between D70 and
    D7000, that's how it came across. In reality, for the same pixel density
    on the image the newer camera gives lower noise, and for the same noise it
    gives higher resolution. There's the progress.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, May 10, 2011