    it right. And anyone in the public at large who enters the second
    category starts worrying about things like low light performance and AF
    speed.

    Ofnuts, May 31, 2010

  2. Rich

    SMS Guest

    On 30/05/10 11:43 PM, David J Taylor wrote:

    That's one of the complaints you hear constantly about P&S digital
    cameras and moving subjects, and is probably one of the biggest reasons
    that D-SLR sales do so well. I think there was a grand total of _one_
    P&S that had phase-detect AF that solved this problem, and it was of
    course discontinued (a Ricoh model not sold in the U.S. except gray
    market by Adorama in NYC). Too expensive to put phase-detect AF on a P&S
    when almost none of your customer base would understand why they should
    be paying more for it.

    The larger sensor P&S cameras line the new Sony NEX, and the Micro 4:3
    should at least partially solve the low light problem (still won't be as
    good as a D-SLR but may be good enough) but they are not less expensive
    than a D-SLR, only smaller. And they'll likely still have much slower AF
    than a D-SLR.

    It's all about using the right tool for the job. Probably every D-SLR
    owner also has a P&S (or two, or three, or five) that they use when they
    can accept the limitations of the P&S.

    SMS, May 31, 2010

  3. []
    True - I currently use a Panasonic TZ3 which I used to take round for
    video (the Nikon D5000 now does this very well) and which I might still
    use where I want a very compact and pocketable camera.

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonictz3/

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond5000/

    Cheers,
    David