  1. As the subject says, I'd like to enable RIP advertisements of the
    netblks the Actiontec MI424WR router owns (uses "openrouter"?). I
    know I know, it should be easy but it's not documented or obvious :(

    Howard Goldstein, Mar 4, 2007

  2. Howard Goldstein

    Kev Guest

    I wouldn't guarantee it uses RIP but there is a reference to "Dynamic
    Routing" on page 64 of the manual.

    Kev, Mar 4, 2007

  3. : Howard Goldstein wrote:
    : > As the subject says, I'd like to enable RIP advertisements of the
    : > netblks the Actiontec MI424WR router owns (uses "openrouter"?). I
    : > know I know, it should be easy but it's not documented or obvious :(
    : >
    : I wouldn't guarantee it uses RIP but there is a reference to "Dynamic
    : Routing" on page 64 of the manual.

    Your page 64 doesnt match either of mine but I think I know what
    you're referring to if it's "domain routing" that "routes based on dns
    information." WTF is that?

    The ad copy mentions RFC 1058 support but I'll be damned if I can
    figure out how to turn route advertisement feature on. I suppose
    I can run gated or something somewhere else to advertise on behalf of
    the Actiontec but now it's personal

    Howard Goldstein, Mar 4, 2007
  4. Howard Goldstein

    Kev Guest

    I think I was just concentrating on this "Enter a device metric in the
    "Device Metric" text box. The device metric is a value used by the
    router to determine whether one route is superior to another,
    considering parameters such as bandwidth and delay time."
    No mention of RFC 1058 in the manual or here:-
    http://www22.verizon.com/FiOSForHom...ctiontec_4_Port_Wireless_Broadband_Router.pdf

    Kev, Mar 4, 2007
  5. : Howard Goldstein wrote:
    : > : Howard Goldstein wrote:
    : > : > As the subject says, I'd like to enable RIP advertisements of the
    : > : > netblks the Actiontec MI424WR router owns (uses "openrouter"?). I
    : > : > know I know, it should be easy but it's not documented or obvious :(
    : > : >
    :
    : I think I was just concentrating on this "Enter a device metric in the
    : "Device Metric" text box. The device metric is a value used by the
    : router to determine whether one route is superior to another,
    : considering parameters such as bandwidth and delay time."

    This seems to drive the router's own routing table. Accessed from the
    shell it appears to set the metric for the bridged interfaces owned by
    the router.

    It's actually a pretty cool router ... if it only had a familiar routed
    on it I'd be a happy camper instead of the bitter, frustrated old man
    I am with a vendetta to get route ads coming out of the thing.

    :
    : >
    : > The ad copy mentions RFC 1058 support but I'll be damned if I can
    : > figure out how to turn route advertisement feature on. I suppose
    : > I can run gated or something somewhere else to advertise on behalf of
    : > the Actiontec but now it's personal
    : >
    : >
    : >
    : No mention of RFC 1058 in the manual or here:-
    : http://www22.verizon.com/FiOSForHom...ctiontec_4_Port_Wireless_Broadband_Router.pdf

    Indeed, not a thing there. Now I'm not sure where I saw it. Maybe
    under some "openrouter" docs I encountered while googling. It appears
    to be based on something fka the "openrouter project"

    Howard Goldstein, Mar 4, 2007
  6. Howard Goldstein

    Kev Guest

    It may be worth asking here:-
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzfiber

    Kev, Mar 4, 2007
  7. Howard Goldstein

    Kev Guest

    Having had a trawl through various web sites it seems some people
    believe that the f/ware is based on Jungo's OpenRG. If you look at the
    Dynamic Routing section, page 61, then RIP certainly used to be an option.
    http://www.jungo.com/openrg/doc/3.14/user_guide/pdf/user_manual.pdf

    Kev, Mar 4, 2007
  8. : Howard Goldstein wrote:
    : > : Howard Goldstein wrote:
    : > : > : Howard Goldstein wrote:
    : > : > : > As the subject says, I'd like to enable RIP advertisements of the
    : > : > : > netblks the Actiontec MI424WR router owns (uses "openrouter"?). I
    : > : > : > know I know, it should be easy but it's not documented or obvious :(
    : > : > : >
    : > : > : I wouldn't guarantee it uses RIP but there is a reference to "Dynamic
    : > : > : Routing" on page 64 of the manual.
    : > : >
    : > : > Your page 64 doesnt match either of mine but I think I know what
    : > : > you're referring to if it's "domain routing" that "routes based on dns
    : > : > information." WTF is that?
    : > :
[...]

    Thanks for the vector, and for hanging in here with me this morning as
    these exchanges forced me towards good info and an iminent solution.
    The inciting bit was your noting the lack of RIP support in the ad
    material which opened up a different line of googling. This box is
    "openrg" based, not "openrouter", the former a commercial product in
    spite of its name.

    The stock openrg product *does* include RIPv1 and v2 functionality via
    the point and drool menu but the verizon supplied version seems to
    have had that aspect castrated from the menu. However there were
    droppings left in a cryptic config file that have settings for RIP
    enable and versioning info and sure enough, flipping them and uploading
    the adulterated config back to the box has the thing emitting RIP and
    responding to rtquery queries.

    It's not yet advertising its bridged interfaces which is what I need, but
    with it at least RIPping I'd say the panic is over.

    In case anyone else is interested or needs to fight with this later
    FFR here be where docs live:

    http://www.jungo.com/openrg/manuals.html

    Howard Goldstein, Mar 4, 2007