    4. Is there something in the adapter that identifies it to me, so I
    could take it anywhere, even another area code.

    Thanks

    R Siffredi, Aug 7, 2004

  2. R Siffredi

    ibeplato Guest

    1. Yes, it uses SIP. You are provided with an ATA device that acts as a
    SIP proxy. Calls are routed to their servers.
    2. Vonage has media gateways to the PSTN in several areas.
    3. No, Vonage only supports analog phones and soft phone clients. Soft
    phones are only supported if you have an existing account
    4. You can plug your ATA device in anywhere there is an Internet
    connection and your phone will work.

    ibeplato, Aug 7, 2004

  3. Yes, you can use an IP phone with a Vonage softphone account. I
    use a Grandstream Budge Tone 101.

    As the previous poster said, however, you will need to have a main
    account set up (making use of Vonage configured hardware), in order to get
    a softphone account.

    Roland Krikava, Aug 7, 2004
  4. R Siffredi

    R Siffredi Guest

    So I could use a cisco 7900 model as well?
    What settings would I have to adjust in it when I get the softphone
    account?
    Also, what packets should I see on the analyzer for my ATA device?
    RTP packets to the Vonage SIP server?
    Call setup?
    Is there keepalvie packets or anything to the ATA device from vonage?

    Thanks again!

    R Siffredi, Aug 7, 2004
  5. Yes, you can use an IP phone with a Vonage softphone account. I
    Really? How did you set it up? I thought that the Vonage softphone
    needed their client, so you could only use a USB phone.

    John R. Levine, Aug 8, 2004
  6. This is how my Grandstream phone is configured:

    IP Phone ConfigurationGrandstream IP Phone Configuration

    MAC Address:
    Product Model: BT100
    Software Version: Program--1.0.5.3
    Bootloader--1.0.0.18
    HTML--1.0.0.36 VOC--1.0.0.6
    Custom Ring Tone: ring1--1.0.0.0 ring2--1.0.0.0
    ring3--0.0.0.0

    Admin Password:
    IP Address: dynamically assigned via DHCP

    SIP Server: sphone.vopr.vonage.net:5060
    Outbound Proxy: sphone.vopr.vonage.net:5061
    SIP User ID: vonage number
    Authenticate User ID: vonage number
    Authenticate Password: *****
    Name: (optional, e.g., John Doe)

    Advanced Options:
    Preferred Vocoder:
    (in listed order)
    choice 1: current setting is "G722"
    choice 2: current setting is "PCMU"
    choice 3: current setting is "PCMA"
    choice 4: current setting is "G723"
    choice 5: current setting is "G729"
    choice 6: current setting is "G726-32"
    choice 7: current setting is "G728"
    choice 8: current setting is "PCMU"

    G723 rate: 6.3kbps encoding rate

    iLBC frame size: 20ms
    iLBC payload type: 98
    Silence Suppression: No
    Voice Frames per TX: 2
    Layer 3 QoS: 48
    Layer 2 QoS: 802.1Q/VLAN Tag: 0 802.1p priority
    value: 0

    Use DNS SRV: No
    User ID is phone number: Yes
    SIP Registration: Yes
    Unregister On Reboot: No
    Register Expiration: 60
    Early Dial: No
    Dial Plan Prefix:
    No Key Entry Timeout: 4
    Use # as Dial Key: Yes (if set to Yes, "#" will function
    as the "(Re-)Dial" key)
    local SIP port: 5060
    local RTP port: 5004
    Use random port: Yes
    NAT Traversal: Yes STUN server is:
    keep-alive interval: 20 seconds
    Use NAT IP:
    TFTP Server: (for remote software upgrade and
    configuration)
    Voice Mail UserID:
    SUBSCRIBE for MWI: No, do not send SUBSCRIBE for Message
    Waiting Indication
    Auto Answer: No
    Offhook Auto-Dial:
    Enable Call Features: No
    Disable Call-Waiting: No
    Send DTMF: in-audio
    DTMF Payload Type: 101
    Send Flash Event: No
    NTP Server: time.nist.gov
    Time Zone:
    Date Display Format: Year-Month-Day
    Daylight Savings Time: Yes
    Default Ring Tone: system ring tone
    Send Anonymous: No

    Roland Krikava, Aug 8, 2004
  7. R Siffredi

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In theory. In practice, you can pull the information you need out of
    the softphone's software.

    DevilsPGD, Aug 9, 2004
  8. R Siffredi

    sidhu

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    what softsiwtch does Vonage use??

    Do any one knows which softswitch does VONAGE uses? is it a own development or a comercial make?

    sidhu, Nov 15, 2006
  9. R Siffredi

    hillieren

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2006
    Messages:
    8
    Likes Received:
    0
    Any difference? Just a SIP compatible switch.

    hillieren, Nov 16, 2006