How does typical ISP traffic shaping/bandwidth limiting work ? Do ISP's allow bursty traffic per sec

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Skybuck Flying, Jan 19, 2006.

  1. Hello,

    I am wondering which traffic shaping algorithm would work better with ISP's
    like ADSL and Cable...

    As far as I understand the leaky bucket algorithm causes a nice smooth
    stream of packets which can never exceed a certain rate per certain time
    interval.

    The token bucket algorithm does allow bursty streams of packets.

    For example suppose the rate limit for the ISP is 80 KB/sec upstream.

    Now suppose the first 900 milliseconds nothing is sent. (90% of the second
    is unused).

    So that would mean the token bucket is now full with (80/100) * 90 = 72 KB.

    Is the user/consumer/end station/end peer etc still allowed to sent these 72
    KB all at once in the last 100 milliseconds... plus maybe even the remaining
    8 KB's ?

    So do ISP's accept bursty traffic like this ? Is it maybe different per
    ISP... ?

    Or do ISP's only accept smooth traffic... this would be related to the
    interval... so define smooth traffic ??? Maybe per 100 milliseconds, or per
    10 milliseconds or per millisecond ??? or something else ?

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Jan 19, 2006