    tell me if this is a more technically advanced/modernized FZ20?

    Thanks for any info,
    Scott

    Scott Speck, Mar 27, 2005

  2. Scott Speck

    Pete Fenelon Guest

    No, it's a replacement for the lower-end FZ3.

    pete

    Pete Fenelon, Mar 27, 2005

  3. Scott Speck

    measekite Guest

    One thing it does not have is AF Assist for low light. I do not know
    about other things.

    measekite, Mar 28, 2005
  4. The FZ5 competes directly with the Konica Minolta Z5. I just got the Z5
    and it is exactly what I wanted.  I take a lot of nature pictures and
    needed the anti-shake, zoom and macro features.  The reviews are correct
    to use the sharp mode for sharp results.  The down side of the Z5 is its
    inability to focus in the dark.  I don't take pictures in the dark so
    that is no problem for me.

    Here is my take:

    Konica Minolta DiMage Z5
    Pluses:
    + has CCD anti-shake which uses less power
    + best macro mode to 1 cm.
    + fastest zoom
    + fastest focus
    + fastest save
    + available for $421
    + widest wide angle
    + external flash support with hot shoe
    + supports S-video
    + uses 4 rechargeable NiMH AA cells
    + supports manual focus
    + has widest ISO range
    Minuses:
    - No focus assist lamp

    Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5
    Pluses:
    + at 290 gm is the lightest & smallest
    + focus assist lamp
    Minuses:
    - not available until April
    - no external flash support
    - uses Panasonic camcorder battery
    - doesn't support S-video movies
    - doesn't support manual focus

    Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ-20
    Pluses:
    + supports manual focus
    + external flash support with hot shoe
    Minuses:
    - uses Panasonic camcorder battery
    - doesn't support S-video movies
    - is the biggest and heaviest

    Stephen Henning, Mar 28, 2005
  5. Scott Speck

    cyclone Guest

    Pretty sure that is incorrect.

    From http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/panasonic/dmc_fz5-review/index.shtml

    "The nice features of the FZ3 remain, including full manual controls, a huge
    12X stabilized lens, fast performance, and an AF-assist lamp. ".

    You can see the af assist lamp in the photos.

    Tony

    cyclone, Mar 28, 2005
  6. Stephen,

    you don't mention articulated (swivelling) viewfinder. Does none
    of these cameras have it?

    I would probably upgrade from my Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ1-2 to
    the FZ5 pretty soon, if it had a swivelling viewfinder. In
    addition I don't like the reduced aperture at the long end of
    the zoom.

    Hans-Georg

    Hans-Georg Michna, Mar 31, 2005
  7. These are not articulating cameras, neither are most other ultra-zoom
    cameras, they are considered EVF SLR-like (electronic viewfinder single
    lens reflex cameras). Obviously, since they don't have interchangeable
    lenses, they are not true SLRs.

    Stephen Henning, Mar 31, 2005
  8. Stephen Henning wrote:
    []
    The image-stabilised Nikon Coolpix 8800 has a swivel LCD which answers
    most people's needs for articulation. As non-SLRs, they offer neither the
    benefits of an SLR, nor do they suffer the drawbacks. They're simply
    different.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Mar 31, 2005
  9. The 8800 is a completely different beast:

    Weighs twice as much but can be used as a boat anchor.

    Has 20% less zoom range.

    Is twice as large (volume).

    Has 60% more pixels.

    Its Movie Clips are limited to 60 seconds. The others will run until
    the memory device is filled.

    Costs twice as much.

    Stephen Henning, Apr 1, 2005