    but not at $120 or whatever for a single season. Look at other series.
    Xena's Season 3 coming out tommorrow for $45 at Best Buy. Wonder when
    the Star Trek stuff will end up in the bargain bin.

    HiTechMan, Feb 9, 2004

  2. HiTechMan

    Dave Navarro Guest

    When people like myself are willing to stop paying top dollar.

    You charge what the market will bare... And as long as there are
    Trekkies (or Trekkers), Paramount will be able to get just about
    anything they want for anything Star Trek related.

    I have a friend who went to a convention last year and at nearly $20 a
    pop, he spent close to $500 on signed autographs from various cast
    members. Definitely more money than sense.

    --Dave

    Dave Navarro, Feb 9, 2004

  3. HiTechMan

    Rich Clark Guest

    Paramount figures that halving the price won't double the sales. It's that
    simple. They're not the only very expensive series boxes: X-Files and The
    Sopranos come immediately to mind.

    They may be right. I've been a follower of Trek from the beginning, and I
    buy a *lot* of DVDs, including series boxes. But I don't know if I'd be
    willing to spend even $700 for 14 boxes of DS9 and TNG, the only ones I'd
    want to buy at all.

    Also, I wonder if Paramount is trying to avoid people "cherry-picking" just
    the best seasons of their shows, leaving lots of unsold boxes of, say the
    second season of TNG. At these prices, anyone who's buying them at all is
    buying every one of them.

    RichC

    Rich Clark, Feb 9, 2004
  4. HiTechMan

    GMAN Guest

    Those fat hasbeen actors (dont get me wrong, i like star trek) actually charge
    for autographs? Shatner TRUELY is a bastard.

    GMAN, Feb 9, 2004
  5. HiTechMan

    TSKO Guest

    I consider the Trek box sets all WAY over priced...but I still have both
    Next Gen and DS9 (along w/ all the original episodes). Its all about people
    like me (and the masses) that are willing to "suck it up" and pay for the
    sets all because we love Star Trek.

    TSKO, Feb 9, 2004
  6. HiTechMan

    jayembee Guest

    That's par for the course, and has been for years. Sports figures do
    it, so why not actors?

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Feb 9, 2004
  7. It's all the fault of profiteering "fans" who have actors sign things
    just so they can sell them for a profit. So many people were asking for
    autographs that it only made sense to adopt this policy-- after all,
    if someone is going to make money off an autograph, who should it be:
    the person who signed the picture, or a dork on eBay who doesn't actually
    appreciate the work of the actor?

    Here's a hint: if you get an autograph, ask for it to be personalized
    to you. It makes the picture less valuable on the market, and more
    valuable to you. The actors also appreciate knowing they're doing this
    for a genuine fan and not someone looking to make a quick buck.

    Aaron J. Bossig, Feb 9, 2004
  8. Having bought all of TNG on VHS, I think the DVDs are a bargain in
    comparison.

    Aaron J. Bossig, Feb 9, 2004
  9. Here in the UK I waited for the offers to come in, recently bought TNG for
    £40 a season, about $74, which is less than half the retail price when they
    first came out.

    Just waiting for the DS9 next year and Voyager after that :)

    John A. Smith, Feb 9, 2004
  10. As for myself, I'd love to pick up the sets. But I've passed on those,
    X-files, Profiler, and a few others. $45-$50 is my limit for a boxed set of
    mainstream stuff.
    Why pay more for the DVD than you are the player?

    ominousspiritous, Feb 9, 2004
  11. I love Star Trek.. but I won't pay $100 per season.

    --
    Brian "Demolition Man" Little
    A reminder to the world....

    Brian \Demolition Man\ Little, Feb 10, 2004
  12. HiTechMan

    TSKO Guest

    EAch to his/her own

    TSKO, Feb 10, 2004
  13. HiTechMan

    ZC TGS Guest

    I don't think it's Shatner as such. The way I've heard it, both Nimoy
    and Shatner do their official signings through a third party. It's
    that third party who decides what to charge for their autographs, etc.

    ZC TGS, Feb 10, 2004
  14. HiTechMan

    Ronald Cole Guest

    Having bought all of TNG on laserdisc (over the course of the nine
    years it took Paramount to release them), I can't stand the whining in
    here about the price of the DVD boxed sets. At $80 a pop at Costco,
    they're a bargain, both in terms of price and shelf space!

    Ronald Cole, Feb 12, 2004
  15. HiTechMan

    SRT Guest

    They "get by" because of idiots that are willing to pay that amount. Check
    out places like Ebay for more reasonably priced sets. But that is nothing -
    what about outfits like ADV or whoever does Farscape in the U.S., charging
    $30.00 or more for a 2-disc set. Talking about a ripoff, that's right up
    there with the criminal prices for Star Trek, X-Files, etc. By the way,
    anyone that is interested in Farscape and has a player that plays all
    regions and formats can get Region 4 PAL "season" sets by Universal from
    Australia at a somewhat more reasonable price.

    srt

    SRT, Feb 14, 2004
  16. HiTechMan

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    My daughter is a fan of Red Dwarf. They have two disk sets that
    DISCOUNT for 40ish each. Sticker is 70 dollars for two disks.

    dick
    -- but she bought them

    Dick Sidbury, Feb 14, 2004