    they look for characteristic "signature patterns".

    But, I know no more than that (and even that may be wrong).

    Can you shed light (in layman's terms) on this process?

    Liam O'Connor, May 19, 2014

  2. Google buys the imagery already aligned to GPS coordinates. They then
    perform additional alignments and merging within their database. It's
    similar to software that stitches photos into panoramas except that
    Google has a LOT of data to merge. Your Android phone may even be
    helping them detect streets and walkways.

    The super high resolution images that you see on Google from airplanes.
    Local and federal governments create them for surveying cities, finding
    diseased plants, finding stagnant water breeding mosquitos, etc.

    I've heard that it's manual, but that's not my line of work.

    Kevin McMurtrie, May 20, 2014

  3. Liam O'Connor

    J. Clarke Guest

    That's Google Earth, not Google Images.

    J. Clarke, May 20, 2014
  4. The web based map uses airplanes too. Some metropolitan areas zoom in
    to a resolution of a few cm using airplane imagery. Images with an
    adjustable viewpoint are also from airplanes.

    Kevin McMurtrie, May 21, 2014
  5. Liam O'Connor

    J. Clarke Guest

    That's Google Maps, not Google Images.

    This is Google Images: <https://images.google.com/>

    You can upload an image and Google will find similar ones.

    J. Clarke, May 21, 2014