    If I have "Connect if this network is in range" will that find the network
    even if the SSID isn't being broadcast?

    Thanks

    RS, Feb 11, 2009

  2. Makes things more of a pain for you.

    Doesn't bother hackers a bit, they couldn't care less.

    Your security, or lack there of,...comes from the Encryption (like
    WPA),...not from monkeying with the SSID.

    --
    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Feb 11, 2009

  3. Hi
    From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    No Security
    Switching Off SSID (same has No Security. SSID can be easily sniffed even if
    it is Off)
    MAC Filtering______(Band Aid if nothing else is available, MAC number can be
    easily Spoofed).
    -------------------
    The above is Not considered safe.
    Safe Starts here at WPA.
    -------------------
    WPA-PSK__(Very Hard to Break).
    WPA-AES__(Not functionally Breakable)
    WPA2____ (Not functionally Breakable).
    Note 2: If you use WinXP bellow SP3 and did not updated it, you would have
    to download the WPA2 patch from Microsoft.
    <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357>
    your Wireless hardware.
    phrase.
    of one of the Wireless devices.
    device with a better one.
    Setting Wireless Security - <http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html>
    <http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html>
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 11, 2009
  4. RS

    John Guest

    I agree with Phillip.
    more inline...

    If you've already connected to this wifi network while SSID broadcast was
    enabled, Windows WZC keeps a profile of the connection. You can either tell
    it to use that default profile or manually select the profile and click
    Connect.
    Yes. IIRC about 7 years ago, when I configure my first home WiFi network, I
    turned off SSID broadcast (among other things). It proved to be a PITA. So I
    decided to just leave it on (ie: broadcast SSID).

    Enable WPA2/AES encryption and give it a long password (eg: 30 to 40
    characters long). That's it. Forget about the rest of silly things like
    hiding SSID, disabling DHCP, enabling MAC filtering unless you really want
    to make your life harder.

    John, Feb 11, 2009
  5. Maybe you would like to read

    Wolfgang