How do you keep your skills sharp ?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Certification' started by Bob, Aug 13, 2009.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    What do you use to keep your skills sharp - do you use a lab/virtual
    software ?

    I personally need to re-fresh my skills on 2003 AD - I want to perform
    disaster recoveries -- I have 2 DC's, one is trashed, only 1 DC operable ---
    now I must re-install re-configure AD on the failed server.

    If I can get away with buying physical servers that would be good due to
    space at home, anything virtual - no equipment would be ideal. I'm doing this
    myself, company is not involved, unfortunately no lab on the job...

    So just looking for some ideas on the best way I can have some hands on to
    fail a device/reinstall --- and eventually I want to do the same with
    exchange 2003

    And ---- books/DVD's with hands on exercised/simulations...

    I'm open to all suggestions to keep my stills sharp - with AD and Exchange
    2003

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Bob, Aug 13, 2009

  2. Santhosh Sivarajan, Aug 14, 2009

  3. Well. I'd like to think that I use real-world experience as my first choice.
    Don't make it harder than it is -- and get a good book on Active Directory
    basics.

    To that point; if you have a good Domain Controller running, then the
    procedure is simple, and well documented:

    1. Ensure that the good Domain Controller has seized all roles from the dead
    Domain Controller.

    2. Strip and reinstall the OS on the dead Domain Controller.

    3. Run 'dcpromo' on the newly installed machine to convert it to a DC.

    Virtual is the *only* way to go for training environments.
    Typically the best place to start here (IMO) are the MCSA/MCSE and
    MCTS/MCITP Training Kits from MSPress.

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], Aug 14, 2009
  4. Bob

    Savo Jr Guest

    One method is to get practice exams from "Measure Up" or "Self test" or
    similar and resolve couple questions every day.

    In your case 70-294, 70-291 would work and 2008 versions 70-640 / 70-642 also.
    Actually i am getting ready for exam 294 with reading 70-640 book.. i just
    skip parts that are new features. I use 294 practice exam with it though.. .
    ..

    Savo Jr, Aug 16, 2009
  5. Bob

    Bob Guest