    Bob Guest

    Since there is no DOS, how can I get a dir list of various directories?

    I've tried copying and pasting but it doesn't seem to work...

    Bob, Feb 13, 2005

  2. Bob

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | Since there is no DOS, how can I get a dir list of various directories?
    |
    | I've tried copying and pasting but it doesn't seem to work...

    Go to a DOS prompt - start / run / cmd <enter>.

    Use the DOS chdir command to get to the folder (directory is the old term)
    you are looking for.
    (cd c:\documents and settings\username\my documents <enter>, for example)

    Then you use the DIR command to create a text file of the directory:
    dir > filelist.txt <enter>

    There are a number of sorting, selection, and formatting options available
    for DIR - try dir /? <enter> for details.

    Then you can go back to XP and edit that file all you want ;o)

    Toolman Tim, Feb 13, 2005

  3. Bob

    none Guest

    If you meant on paper, there is a freeware utilitie for that. I think
    it is called printdir. Search for that name or look in the usual
    freeware places like cnet.

    none, Feb 13, 2005
  4. Bob

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 18:46:44 -0800, "Toolman Tim"

    | >| >|
    | >| Since there is no DOS, how can I get a dir list of various directories?
    | >|
    | >| I've tried copying and pasting but it doesn't seem to work...
    | >|
    | >Go to a DOS prompt - start / run / cmd <enter>.
    | >
    | >Use the DOS chdir command to get to the folder (directory is the old
    term)
    | >you are looking for.
    | >(cd c:\documents and settings\username\my documents <enter>, for example)
    | >
    | >Then you use the DIR command to create a text file of the directory:
    | >dir > filelist.txt <enter>
    | >
    | >There are a number of sorting, selection, and formatting options
    available
    | >for DIR - try dir /? <enter> for details.
    | >
    | >Then you can go back to XP and edit that file all you want ;o)
    | >
    | If you meant on paper, there is a freeware utilitie for that. I think
    | it is called printdir. Search for that name or look in the usual
    | freeware places like cnet.

    Actually there are a number of freeware utilities that will do that. But
    personally, I prefer not to add an extra program to do what is built in to
    the system...a file list in a txt format and any txt editor (Wordpad,
    Notepad, any WP program) will suffice.

    Toolman Tim, Feb 13, 2005
  5. Bob

    Carol2 Guest

    Toolman has given you an excellent solution. However, if you aren't so
    adept with the command lines (like me).....this freebie may help you
    out:
    http://www.spadixbd.com/freetools/ Look for JR Directory Printer. A
    friend sent me the link the other day & recommended it, but I haven't
    had a chance to try it out as yet.

    Carol2

    Carol2, Feb 13, 2005
  6. Bob

    why? Guest

    In that case you may want to try Karen's Directory Printer, first.
    http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptdirprn.asp
    Me

    why?, Feb 13, 2005
  7. Bob

    Bob Guest

    windows says it can't find 'dir' ...

    Bob, Feb 13, 2005
  8. Bob

    G. Morgan Guest

    Subject: How do you get a dir list in XP?
    Newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

    If you have Netscape or Firefox just enter file:///c:/ in your address bar. You
    can browse the tree, and print from your browser.

    G. Morgan, Feb 13, 2005
  9. Bob

    Joel Rubin Guest

    Run "cmd". This will open up a box which looks like DOS. You can even
    make it full screen by using alt-enter.

    You can also run "command" which is the real 16-bit DOS command
    processor but cmd has better features.

    Joel Rubin, Feb 13, 2005
  10. Bob

    Bob Guest

    OK thanks... I was hoping I could run separate commands, rather then running a
    CLI... but as long as it works!

    hmmmm maybe I can make bat files to do this?

    It's been a long time since I ran any DOS!

    Bob, Feb 13, 2005
  11. Bob

    Toolman Tim Guest

    wrote:

    | >>On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 18:46:44 -0800, "Toolman Tim"

    | >>>| >>>|
    directories?
    | >>>|
    | >>>|

    | >>windows says it can't find 'dir' ...
    | >
    | >Run "cmd". This will open up a box which looks like DOS. You can even
    | >make it full screen by using alt-enter.
    | >
    | >You can also run "command" which is the real 16-bit DOS command
    | >processor but cmd has better features.
    |

    | OK thanks... I was hoping I could run separate commands, rather then
    running a
    | CLI... but as long as it works!
    |
    | hmmmm maybe I can make bat files to do this?
    |
    | It's been a long time since I ran any DOS!

    Sure. Did you see my original post? Put those commands in a batch file and
    run that. (Edit the path for the file you want the directory of...mine was
    only an example).

    Toolman Tim, Feb 13, 2005
  12. Bob

    Plato Guest

    Well in principle I agree with you its just that the darn free directory
    printers are just so darn pretty and easy to use :)

    Plato, Feb 13, 2005
  13. Bob

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | Toolman Tim wrote:
    | >
    | > personally, I prefer not to add an extra program to do what is built in
    | > the system...a file list in a txt format and any txt editor (Wordpad,
    | > Notepad, any WP program) will suffice.
    |
    | Well in principle I agree with you its just that the darn free directory
    | printers are just so darn pretty and easy to use :)

    Well, I can't argue with that ;o) In fact, as long as the software would
    allow me to export to a text file so I can import it into page layout
    software I really like, that's not too bad. I have a style sheet in Word Pro
    shaped like a CD-ROM case insert card with headers/footers, etc., for nice,
    quick covers.

    Then again, most of the newer CD burning software programs have *that*
    ability already built in <g>

    Toolman Tim, Feb 13, 2005
  14. Bob

    Carol2 Guest

    Carol2, Feb 13, 2005
  15. Bob

    Bob Guest

    yup, I did, and thanks a lot!

    Bob, Feb 14, 2005
  16. Bob

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 10:04:11 -0800, "Toolman Tim"

    | >wrote:
    | >|

> [...]
    | >| >>>| >| >>>|
    | >directories?
    | >| >>>|
    | >| >>>|

    | >|
    | >|
    | >| OK thanks... I was hoping I could run separate commands, rather then
    | >running a
    | >| CLI... but as long as it works!
    | >|
    | >| hmmmm maybe I can make bat files to do this?
    | >|
    | >| It's been a long time since I ran any DOS!
    | >|
    | >Sure. Did you see my original post? Put those commands in a batch file
    and
    | >run that. (Edit the path for the file you want the directory of...mine
    was
    | >only an example).
    | >

    | yup, I did, and thanks a lot!

    Quite welcome ;o)

    Toolman Tim, Feb 14, 2005
  17. Bob

    Plato Guest

    New? You're talking to a person who runs his cars till they have to be
    towed away. In fact, the "donation" guys wont even pick them up. I have
    to pay $25 disposal fee.

    Plato, Feb 14, 2005
  18. Bob

    Toolman Tim Guest

    I had one of those once...I had to tow it to the junk yard and pay to leave
    it <g>!

    Toolman Tim, Feb 14, 2005
  19. Bob

    A Boll Guest

    RE:
    Is this about getting a list of any directory ???

    If so,..try this:

    START>EXECUTE>CMD.EXE
    (if you dont get a prompt, check if you've got an CMD.EXE file, if not
    reinstall it!)
    commandline:
    c:\tree > treelist.txt
    (total tree structure can be find in file named treelist.txt)
    commandline:
    c:\dir /s > totaldir.txt
    (total directory + folders + files are shown in file named totaldir.txt)
    further more...
    commandline:
    c:\dir /?
    (will show command dir helplist)
    commandline:
    c:\tree /?
    (will show command tree helplist)

    DOS ain't THAT bad!

    if it wasn't your problem,...isn't this explanation kinda dumb ?

    A Boll, Feb 21, 2005
  20. Bob

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | "Toolman Tim" <> schreef in bericht

    | in
    | > |
    | > | Well in principle I agree with you its just that the darn free
    directory
    | > | printers are just so darn pretty and easy to use :)
    | > |
    | > Well, I can't argue with that ;o) In fact, as long as the software would
    | > allow me to export to a text file so I can import it into page layout
    | > software I really like, that's not too bad. I have a style sheet in Word
    | Pro
    | > shaped like a CD-ROM case insert card with headers/footers, etc., for
    | nice,
    | > quick covers.
    | >
    | > Then again, most of the newer CD burning software programs have *that*
    | > ability already built in <g>
    | >

    | RE:
    | Is this about getting a list of any directory ???
    |
    | If so,..try this:
    |
    | START>EXECUTE>CMD.EXE
    | (if you dont get a prompt, check if you've got an CMD.EXE file, if not
    | reinstall it!)
    | commandline:
    | c:\tree > treelist.txt
    | (total tree structure can be find in file named treelist.txt)
    | commandline:
    | c:\dir /s > totaldir.txt
    | (total directory + folders + files are shown in file named totaldir.txt)
    | further more...
    | commandline:
    | c:\dir /?
    | (will show command dir helplist)
    | commandline:
    | c:\tree /?
    | (will show command tree helplist)
    |
    | DOS ain't THAT bad!
    |
    | if it wasn't your problem,...isn't this explanation kinda dumb ?

    Heh heh...you're on the right track <g>! The OP wanted to make lists of the
    files in his folders. I think he/she decided to download one of those quick
    little freeware programs. Me, I prefer DOS commands as well.

    Toolman Tim, Feb 21, 2005