    How do you format a laptop that does not have a CD-ROM

    I have a sony vio and I need to format it and I can't because it doesn't
    have a Cd-Rom How can I do this???

    Sam, Nov 5, 2006

  2. Sam

    Mike Easter Guest

    Terminology:

    CD-ROM = cdrom disk which contains the data
    CD-ROM drive = the optical drive which reads the disk, is typically
    built in to a laptop, and/but which may by connected to a computer by
    any one of many interfaces, such as IDE, USB, or even others such as
    firewire, SATA, etc.
    VAIO = Sony sub-brand which now includes laptops, sublaps, desktops,
    etc
    format = [in this context] preparing a hdd medium with an empty file
    system in anticipation of installing an operating system

    Is your statement and question that you have a Sony Vaio laptop which
    has a CD-ROM drive, but you don't have a CD-ROM with an operating system
    and installation capabilities? Or is your question something else?

    Did you purchase this laptop new or used? If so, what cd-rom disks came
    with it? What is its model number?

    Is it your intention to format the laptop's hdd and install a new
    operating system? Which operating system?

    Mike Easter, Nov 5, 2006

  3. Sam

    philo Guest

    You DO NOT want to format the drive if you have no cdrom...
    without a cdrom you will have no way to reinstall the operating system!!!!

    philo, Nov 5, 2006
  4. It may be a subnotebook with only external drives, and when the notebook
    got ... erm ... borrowed, someone forgot to take the external cd/dvd drive
    as well? Now, a tough thing to format it for getting rid of traces from the
    previous owner, before putting it on ebay.

    Walter Mautner, Nov 5, 2006
  5. Sam

    MJP Guest

    Make a bootable USB stick and install DSL, BARTPE or similar.

    MJP

    ..

    MJP, Nov 5, 2006
  6. There are many ways to install an operating system without a CD-ROM
    drive.

    David Matthew Wood, Nov 5, 2006
  7. Sam

    philo Guest

    Yes...
    but the OP probably is not equipped to perform a network install etc

    philo, Nov 5, 2006
  8. Sam

    Gaius Baltar Guest

    Eihter that or get a USB ext CD drive and set the laptop to boot from
    it. Bootable CD with appropriate files reqd.

    gb

    Gaius Baltar, Nov 6, 2006
  9. Sam

    DanR Guest