<<How Do You Extract Just a Few Files From the Windows 98 Disk?>>

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Luke O'Malley, Apr 7, 2004.

  1. I had an infection. I cleaned it, but there were a couple of files
    I had to erase: svhost.exe, svchose.exe, server.exe & Edit32.exe. I
    tried at the Widows upgrade site with no luck. I am trying to avoid
    reinstalling Windows 98 again!

    Luke

    --
    ______ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _____
    / \/ \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \ / \

    Luke O'Malley, Apr 7, 2004

  2. Luke O'Malley

    olfart Guest

    System File Checker will locate the mising files and ask for your W98 CD to
    reinstall them

    olfart, Apr 7, 2004

  3. Luke O'Malley

    Patch Guest

    Go to "start-Run-SFC" When the program starts select "extract one file from
    the installation disk" then point it to the Win98 CD, enter the file name.
    Do this for each file.

    Patch, Apr 7, 2004
  4. Luke O'Malley

    Jackie Guest

    I think you will find that they are not on the win 98 cd. they are the virus

    Jackie, Apr 7, 2004
  5. Luke O'Malley

    enemy Guest

    In a DOS box type "extract" to see the options.

    As I recall it's something like:

    extract /a /e X:WIN98_02.CAB abc.exe

    to extract abc.exe from any of the files beginning with X:WIN98_02.CAB
    where X: is the drive letter for the CD Drive.

    /a means look in WIN98_02.CAB, WIN98_03.CAB, WIN98_04.CAB, ...

    /e means extract. /d means just display the results.

    enemy, Apr 8, 2004
  6. Howdy!

    SVHOST.EXE = Virus file, not part of 98.
    SVCHOSE.EXE = Virus file, not part of 98.
    SERVER.EXE = Virus file, not part of 98.
    EDIT32.EXE = Virus file, not part of 98.

    WHY in blue blazes would you want to reinstall the blasted
    VIRUS??????

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Apr 8, 2004
  7. Luke O'Malley