    it? I have winzip already. Heck, I might already know how, I just need
    to know what they "mean" when the instructions say, "extract the zip."
    Thanks.

    Jim, Oct 1, 2003

  2. Jim

    trout Guest

    They just mean "unzip". Right-click the file, and use the menu
    there.

    trout, Oct 1, 2003

  3. Jim

    °Mike° Guest

    Double click on the *.zip file, which will open it in WinZip.

    Press on the 'Extract' button....

    °Mike°, Oct 1, 2003
  4. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Here's what i got instead:
    "Winzip Wizard cannot open this file; doesn't appear to be a valid
    archive." Any ways around this? I already tried to download twice, so
    downloading again would probably be a waste.

    Jim, Oct 1, 2003
  5. Jim

    °Mike° Guest

    You said; "I have about 20 parts of a whole...". That suggests
    to me that you haven't downloaded the complete archive.
    You must have all parts for the archive to be complete.

    °Mike°, Oct 1, 2003
  6. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Sorry, I worded it poorly. There are 20 parts to the whole. The only
    part I can't get to download correctly (or at least to access once
    downloaded) is the "master" zip.

    Jim, Oct 1, 2003
  7. Jim

    °Mike° Guest

    If the master zip (or any of the parts) are corrupt, then
    you will get that error. Try renaming all of the files,
    reboot and empty your Temp folder immediately.
    Re-download the files, preferably from a different source.

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Oct 2, 2003
  8. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Oh great. It's taken like a day to download all these parts (on 56K
    here). Is there a way to test the files before downloading them? What
    a waste of time. Live and learn I guess.

    Jim, Oct 2, 2003
  9. Jim

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Oct 2, 2003
  10. Jim

    Rob Guest

    You might want to try winrar.
    If the files are in segments, ... extract all the files, then extract one of
    the files that you just extracted.
    Lots of binaries posted into the newsgroups are posted using winrar format
    as well. get it from rarsoft.com i think.

    Rob, Oct 2, 2003
  11. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Hmm. It's saying "no files in archive."

    Jim, Oct 2, 2003
  12. Jim

    Richard Guest

    Unzip refers to a process of unpacking the montage of files.
    Usually done with more than one file but sometimes only one file.
    www.winzip.com for the most common "zip" extractor.
    www.rarlabs.com for winrar which is another type and used mainly with "rar"
    files.
    Although winrar will unzip zip files.
    And there are dozens of other unpacking tools available.

    Richard, Oct 2, 2003
  13. Jim

    °Mike° Guest

    Download the first and last files in the series again, and
    rescan it with Zipfix. If that doesn't help, you'll probably
    have to find another source/server, as I stated previously.

    °Mike°, Oct 2, 2003
  14. Jim

    Shel-hed Guest

    I'm a little confused, so don't take this wrong.
    Have you combined the parts? IOW, the file may be a single zip broken into many
    parts. You then use OE to put them together. Once assembled, you use winzip or
    whatever to unzip them.

    Shel-hed, Oct 2, 2003