How do you enable wave recording in Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, Nov 5, 2011.

  1. John

    John Guest

    In Windows XP when I clicked on the sound icon in the task bar I could
    change the options of where sound is recorded from. E.g. I could
    record from microphone, line in, wave, or even "what you hear". In
    Windows 7 all those options have disappeared except for recording from
    Mic, FrontMic or Line In. At the moment I just have the inbuilt sound
    that comes with the Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3, which is the onboard
    Realtek HD audio sound board.

    The old copy of StepVoice Recorder unfortunately wont work to record
    audio anymore. I have also looked at Freecorder and Jacksta Free Media
    Recorder, but unfortunately these both seem to be toolbars that
    install on my browser and I don't want that.

    I do intend to get a good sound card when money permits to go with
    this new system, probably a Focusrite Saffire, in the meantime though
    I may install my old Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS if it would help bring
    back those missing opions and also will be compatible with Windows 7?

    Thanks for any advice and help with this,

    John

    John, Nov 5, 2011

  2. John

    Paul Guest

    Example here.

    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq?s=recording&i=mixer-toolbar-input

    http://wiki.audacityteam.org/index.php?title=Mixer_Toolbar_Issues

    The advice there, isn't as explicit as it might be, but it offers some
    suggestions as to how the newer OSes differ in how they treat things.

    One suggestion is to operate the older program in "Compatibility" mode,
    set to be compatible with an older OS, in the hope that would work better.

    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/316-compatibility-mode.html

    Paul

    Paul, Nov 6, 2011