How do you download a .wma streaming audio file from a website?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by C Osbourne, Nov 18, 2003.

  1. C Osbourne

    C Osbourne Guest

    Anyone know how to download the .wma file that
    appears on Runs Limbaugh's website, of his
    monologue (apology) of 11-17-03?

    A friend was unable to listen, and really wanted
    to. He has no access to the net, and I'd like to
    put it on a CD so he can play it on his CD player.

    If you attempt to save the 1.8mb 12 minute file,
    you just get a little file on your desktop that
    contains:

    ----------
    <ASX VERSION="3.0">
    <ENTRY>
    <REF
    HREF="mms://a603.v5020d.c5020.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/603/5020/v0001/rushlimb.d
    ownload.akamai.com/5020/clips/03/11/111703_1_monologue1.wma" />
    </ENTRY>
    </ASX>
    ----------

    It appears to be a .wma file.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks for answering here.

    C Osbourne, Nov 18, 2003

  2. C Osbourne

    Shel-hed Guest

    If you can't right click/ save target as, then use software to record it while it is
    playing. Check your sound card's help files and look for instructions. You may have
    to set the recording to "what you hear" or similar. There are also programs available
    on the net that will do this.

    Shel-hed, Nov 18, 2003

  3. C Osbourne

    C Osbourne Guest

    Which programs will do this? I've tried streambox VCR
    and HiDownload. Both won't work. When It's playing
    in mediaplayer, and I attempt to save it to CD, It says
    it's too large, which is bogus. for a 12 minute audio
    file, that's 1.8mb large. I suspect that they don't
    want people saving a copy, but would rather force you
    to go to their site to hear it. That's okay for as
    long as they leave it on the site, but doesn't let people
    without net access hear the file.

    Thanks for trying to help, but it didn't work.

    Anyone else have any ideas?

    C Osbourne, Nov 18, 2003
  4. C Osbourne

    trout Guest

    Maybe something here will help:
    http://tinyurl.com/vld6

    In the top section, "The Inexpensive Way With Freeware", he
    discusses two possible methods, and two other programs for recording
    directly from the sound card:

    OptD2d: http://www.opcode.co.uk/opd2d/
    Silent Bob: http://www.silent-bob.de/en/

    (I have not used, and can not comment on either.)

    trout, Nov 19, 2003