how do you do the blurry zoomy type photos?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mark B., Jul 10, 2004.

  1. Mark B.

    Mark B. Guest

    I don't know if that would work with a point 'n shoot digicam, I've done it
    with film SLRs and it would work just as well with a digital SLR. It works
    best if you're on a tripod. You need a relatively slow shutter speed to
    zoom during the exposure.

    Mark B., Jul 10, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  2. Mark B.

    scott Guest

    I can't find an example but I will try to explain the sort of photo I am
    thinking of. It looks like the camera has been zoomed in during the
    exposure or something similar. The subject is normally in the centre and
    perfectly in focus, however as you go outwards it becomes kind of blurred
    outwards, alomst as if someone had "smudged" the image outwards in all
    directions. It works really well at drawing your eye to the centre, it is
    really hard to fight against the urge to look at the subject.

    I tried a few tests by adjusting the zoom during exposure but it didn't
    really work too well. I guess it is probably done in software afterwards?


    scott, Jul 10, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  3. Mark B.

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Two ways it could work.
    1 - long exposure, giving most of the time to the sharp picture, then
    2 - use flash and then zoom -- actually another long exposure method.
    1a - 2 exposures. One for the sharp center and one for the zoom.

    There are also filters that can give the effect -- sort of.

    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
    The Improved Links Pages are at
    A sample chapter from my novel "Haight-Ashbury" is at
    Tony Spadaro, Jul 10, 2004
  4. Mark B.

    Alan D Guest

    If you are talking about having the main subject in focus while the
    background is blurred, use a focal length of 70-110mm (play around with
    this) and have a low f/stop number (larger opening). Also, you may have to
    increase the distance between your subject and the background.

    Alan D.
    Alan D, Jul 11, 2004
  5. I'm pretty sure you are referring to "bokeh". You would use a very shallow
    depth of field (DOF) to achieve this effect, setting the lens to a wide
    open aperture (say 1.8). If you are using a camera with anything smaller
    than a full frame 35mm sensor, you will have a progressively more harder
    time blurring the background as the sensor gets smaller. It is very
    difficult to do this with most non-SLR digital cameras, except for certain
    types of shots (macros, for example).

    Do a Google Groups search on "bokeh" or "DOF" or "depth of field" in* if you want to learn about this technique, which can favorably
    enhance portraiture.
    Richard Cockburn, Jul 11, 2004
  6. Here is an example. Notice how the bird is in sharp focus, but the
    background in blurred. The fence is in focus at the part where the bird is
    perched, but increasingly blurred in both directions as it gets further
    away from the focus point (the bird). See Bret's thread "LOCKED UP WITH THE
    D60" for discussion of this photo.
    Richard Cockburn, Jul 11, 2004
  7. Do you have an example? Movies where the background drops away from
    behind an actor is done by zooming out while rapidly moving the camera
    closer along a track.

    For still images, it's possible that the camera and subject are both
    moving together on a track or in a vehicle.
    Kevin McMurtrie, Jul 11, 2004
  8. If what want is something like this effect: ,
    you can do it in Photoshop with the Radial Blur filter.

    First create an alpha channel to mask out the bits you want to render
    sharp, and use the Radial Blur filter (Filter->Blur->Radial Blur ...)
    to create the zoom effect.

    Play around the controls a bit in draft mode to find the appropriate
    «Blur Center» and Amount.

    The effect is probably best suited for dramatic moving subjects (such
    as a frontal shot of bicycle racer - but I used the picture of a cow
    in a flowery field to demostrate because the flowers show off radial
    blur effect very well.
    Gisle Hannemyr, Jul 11, 2004
  9. Mark B.

    scott Guest

    Ah yes! That is the exact effect! I found it hard to search for an example!
    Thanks a lot, I wasn't sure whether it was done in hardware or software. I
    saw it done on a photo of a Formula 1 pitstop crew in action a while back
    and it looked amazing.

    Cheers for all the replies,

    scott, Jul 11, 2004
  10. Radial blur.

    Historically you do this by zooming the lens during the exposure (need
    a tripod to hold the camera steady during the long exposure, of
    course). But the only photo like that I've actually made, I did using
    a radial blur in Photoshop (I was trying to cover up some artifacts
    not central to the phot; worked adequately I thought). My example is
    < 197010-020-14-radial>;
    that is the kind of effect you're talking about, right?
    David Dyer-Bennet, Jul 11, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.