    refuse to pay attention to my attempts to disable them starting up by
    changing the setting in their properties window. So how it it done in
    XP? Thanks.

    Sam, Nov 17, 2005

  2. Sam

    zxcvbob Guest

    "msconfig" command, from the Start->Run menu. The trick is figuring out
    which startup entry is what.

    Best regards,
    Bob

    zxcvbob, Nov 17, 2005

  3. Sam

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In zxcvbob spewed forth:
    That's a nice troubleshooting tool, but it's not designed for a long-term
    solution.

    Once msconfig.exe helps you find out HOW the program is being started, it's
    best to stop it at the source. For instance, if it's in the start menu,
    delete it from there. If it's a registry entry, delete it there.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 17, 2005
  4. Sam

    DC Guest

    Hey! I walk that line, Mister! }:O)

    DC, Nov 17, 2005
  5. Sam

    Jim Byrd Guest

    Hi Sam - There are several approaches you can use to make controlling the
    Startup process easier. In addition to using msconfig:

    Go here: http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml and get Mike Lin's Startup
    Control Panel applet. A somewhat more difficult to use but more extensive
    program to do the same thing is StartupList from here:
    http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/index.html, or even better, Autoruns from
    here: http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/autoruns.shtml.

    Be very careful about doing any Registry modifications directly unless
    you're comfortable with this, and be sure that you BACKUP your Registry
    before making any changes, so that you can recover if something goes wrong.
    Changes made with StartUpCPL are less likely to cause problems, and are
    usually a matter of just re-enabling the particular program.

    Another program of this type that I can recommend is StartMan, free. You'll
    have to get it here: http://www.pt.lu/comnet/files/utils/startman10396.exe,
    as the pcforest site is, sadly, no longer in business.

    Another such free program that I can highly recommend is StartupRun, here:
    http://nirsoft.cjb.net/, particularly if you suspect malware problems.

    And finally, StartupCop, here is excellent and allows you to set up multiple
    "startup profiles": http://www.pchelp911.com/files/startcop.zip.

    If you have problems with suspected hijackers, you can look up and
    investigate suspect programs in your StartUp lists here:
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_full.htm (Recommended)
    http://www.3feetunder.com/krick/startup/list.html (Recommended)
    http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm (Recommended)

    All work fine for controlling startups, however, I would recommend using
    both msconfig and StartupCPL or one of the others. They're both free, and
    each has some advantages. For example, the XP msconfig also gives you some
    visibility/control over services, while Mike's applet offers much better
    startup control.

    Also, you should read and print out/save for future reference mskb article
    Q179365 here:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q179365 which will
    tell you the order in which things get loaded.

    Two additional resources which have useful information relating to startup
    issues are:

    How to Delay Loading of Specific Services
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;193888

    HOWTO: Control Device Driver Load Order
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q115/4/86.asp

    One last thing - if you want to use msconfig in order to help deal with
    "malware" issues, be aware that you can use it to do a "Clean Boot" from
    which to better run anti-spyware cleanup tools. From my Blog, Defending
    Your Machine, addy below in my Signature:

    #########IMPORTANT#########
    Show hidden files and run all of the following removal tools from Safe mode
    or a "Clean Boot" when possible. Reboot and test if the malware is fixed
    after using each tool.

    HOW TO Enable Hidden Files
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2002092715262339

    Clean Boot - General Win2k/XP procedure, but see below for links for other
    OS's (This for Win2k w/msconfig - you can obtain msconfig for Win2k here:
    http://www.3feetunder.com/files/win2K_msconfig_setup.exe ):

    1. StartRun enter msconfig.

    2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then clear the 'Process
    System.ini File', 'Process Win.ini File', and 'Load Startup Items' check
    boxes. Leave the 'boot.ini' boxes however they are currently set.

    3. In the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" checkbox,
    and then click the "Disable All" button. If you use a third party firewall
    then re-check (enable) it. For example, if you use Zone Alarm, re-check the
    True Vector Internet Monitor service (and you may also want to re-check
    (enable) the zlclient on the Startup tab.) Equivalent services exist for
    other third party firewalls. An alternative to this for XP users is to
    enable at this time the XP native firewall (Internet Connection Firewall -
    ICF). Be sure to turn it back off when you re-enable your non-MS services
    and Startup tab programs and restore your normal msconfig configuration
    after cleaning your machine.

    4. Click OK and then reboot.

    For additional information about how to clean boot your operating system,
    click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft
    Knowledge Base:
    310353 How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353
    281770 How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 2000
    267288 How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows Millennium Edition
    192926 How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 98
    243039 How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows 95
    #########IMPORTANT#########

    Perhaps this will help.

    Jim Byrd, Nov 17, 2005
  6. Download and install Winpatrol (freeware). This is very easy to use, and
    will stop any program you like from starting up.

    http://www.winpatrol.com/

    **SS**

    Secret Squiddle, Nov 17, 2005
  7. Squiddle makes a good recommendation. :)
    The reason this is a good solution is WinPatrol's "Disable" button.

    When you Disable a Startup item with WinPatrol it will remember your
    preference and anytime in the future MSN or Yahoo is added again it
    will automatically be removed without bugging you.
    This feature was added because of program like QuickTime, RealPlayer
    and others who think they're so important any time you run them they
    put themselves back in the Run registry.

    Bill Pytlovany
    BillP Studios

    BillP Studios, Nov 17, 2005
  8. Sam

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In DC spewed forth:
    Yup - I've spent plenty of time on BOTH sides myself <g>

    Toolman Tim, Nov 17, 2005