    Does anyone run the free version of Avast antivirus? How do you configure
    folder exclusions from real-time scanning? I can't find that option within
    the interface.

    Spin, Jul 25, 2009

  2. Spin

    Spin Guest

    Thanks a lot!!! Will try this tomorrow.

    Spin, Jul 25, 2009

  3. Spin

    VanguardLH Guest

    Right-click on its tray icon.
    Select "On-Access Protection Control" (on-access = real-time)
    Select the Standard shield.
    Click the Customize button.
    Change focus to the Advanced tab.

    There is no handy browser dialog option here to let you easily navigate
    to where you want to find the folders or files to exclude. You'll have
    the manually enter the path. You could use Windows Explorer to navigate
    to the folder and the copy its Address Bar value when adding an
    exclusion to Avast.

    VanguardLH, Jul 25, 2009
  4. Spin

    chuckcar Guest

    You do *not* want to exclude *any* files from a virus scan. The whole
    point of a virus scan is to see if you *have* one. If you start excluding
    files, you won't know for certain.

    chuckcar, Jul 25, 2009
  5. Spin

    Spin Guest

    I agree, for the most part. I won't be excluding \Program Files, \Windows
    \Documents and Settings or any built-in directory that viruses commonly
    target. I have installed VMWare on the machine and only want to exclude the
    \VMWare directory and the directory that contains the virtual machine files
    from real-time scanning. No viruses that I am aware of targets those.

    Spin, Jul 25, 2009
  6. Spin

    chuckcar Guest

    There's over 5,000 trojans viri and variants last time I checked. You must
    have quite the memory. Just let the scanner check *all* files. Checking
    it's own directory won't add more than a minute to the scan (which will
    take *hours*). As for the likelyhood of a trojan attacking AV software, I
    can't think of anywhere *more* likely aside from possibly base OS and mail
    subsystems. Viri will infect *any* file exectuted. That's how they spread.

    chuckcar, Jul 25, 2009
  7. Spin

    VanguardLH Guest

    Apparently you've never heard of false positives by anti-virus software,
    and sometimes the result is that one security program disables and
    possibly corrupts another security program due to false positives. You
    *do* want to exclude your security programs from each other if they
    conflict with each other (and, no, uninstalling one of them may not be a
    viable option since there is no doable or desirable replacement). Also,
    some anti-virus vendors continue triggering on certain programs as
    "Probably Unwanted Programs" because they're hackware or system tools
    despite that the *user* installed them for their own use.

    VanguardLH, Jul 25, 2009
  8. Spin

    Evan Platt Guest

    Now chucktard's gonna say that if your AV finds false positives, it's
    crap. Get a new one. :)

    Evan Platt, Jul 25, 2009
  9. chucktard filled Usenet with:
    When was that? 1980? It is probably closer to a quarter million now.
    It might take hours on your computer. Far less on any I service.

    BTW, the word is not "viri." It is "viruses."

    Please research
    1. how to use commas
    2. the usage of the word "its"
    3. the likelyhood of using a spellchecker

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 25, 2009
  10. Spin

    Aardvark Guest

    Oopsie! Spelling errors in a spelling lame, mate.

    When I do that, I always double-check (sometimes triple-check) my post
    before hitting 'send'.

    Aardvark, Jul 25, 2009
  11. You are referring to "likelyhood" I assume? See Chuckie's post. That
    Mee two.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 25, 2009
  12. Spin

    Aardvark Guest

    In that case, Beau, please accept my most abject and humble apologies.

    :)

    Aardvark, Jul 25, 2009
  13. Accepted. Not to worry. ;-)

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 25, 2009
  14. Spin

    Mara Guest

    Then you're doing it wrong - at least one missteak is required in any spelling
    lame.

    Mara, Jul 25, 2009
  15. Spin

    VanguardLH Guest

    I've used Symantec, McAfee, NOD32, Avira, Avast, AVG, and probably
    others that I don't recall right now. I have yet to find one that is
    guaranteed to NEVER have a false positive.

    VanguardLH, Jul 26, 2009