    SVC is promoting a new heatsink, the THERMALRIGHT HR-05 HIGH-RISER NORTHBRIDGE COOLER. I wonder how this massive heatsink attaches to the motherboard? I don't see any hardware in their description. Anyway, why don't one of you guys ask to test this baby?:joyman:

    Link: http://www.svc.com/hr-05.html Price: $19.95

    [​IMG]

    bigal, Mar 21, 2006

  2. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    Noob Explaination:
    you dont, u swipe ur credit card through the gap and sit it on your PCI slot :p

    Pro Explaination:
    You get a mounting kit, u have the bar running through the middle and u have two sides to the bracket. And then u screw it together through the two holes where the clips used to be :p

    unholy, Mar 21, 2006

  3. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Show me a picture senor.

    bigal, Mar 22, 2006
  4. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    If you say so :p

    i myself call it "teh pressure bracket"

    Although this one would be hard because we are working with a chipset, i can say only a few things, the bracket could pass through the heat pipes, with the direction of the Heatsink, it would best work on intels, as the Northbridge is in the center of the board pretty much. It would have not been made for AMD's al, because the new AMDs dont need that much cooling on the chipset unless u forget to drop the HTT ratio :)

    [​IMG]

    Attached Files:

    Last edited: Mar 23, 2006
    unholy, Mar 23, 2006
  5. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Not a bad picture. But I'm wondering what comes with the device in terms of mounting hardware. You shouldn't have to make your own brackets....

    bigal, Mar 23, 2006
  6. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    Probably something simaliar to what i described, i couldn't find a review on the cooler, not sure why, maybe its very new?

    unholy, Mar 24, 2006
  7. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    The Modfather, Mar 24, 2006
  8. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    That's not the same device. You gave us a link for the Thermalright HR-01, a passive CPU cooler.

    bigal, Mar 24, 2006
  9. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    Omg modfather, wrong product... infact so wrong i dont see the resemablance :p

    unholy, Mar 25, 2006
  10. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Oops, I goofed.

    The Modfather, Mar 26, 2006
  11. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    So....fix it. Find what we're looking for. You're on the hook now!

    bigal, Mar 26, 2006
  12. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Nah, don't feel like it, I found some reviews but nothing with pics of the mounting hardware unfortunately.

    The Modfather, Mar 27, 2006
  13. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Can you imagine if Paul Revere said, "Honey, I'm too tired to go riding tonight. Can't we just send Jonny?".

    bigal, Mar 27, 2006
  14. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Yeah, then we'd have more expensive antique silver and some guy named Jonny would have ridden his horse around Boston. Sounds good to me, I've got a Revere bowl, it's worth a nice bit. I could have two if he'd not gone out there and gotten into that silly war stuff.

    The Modfather, Mar 27, 2006
  15. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Can you imagine if Patton had said, "Soldier, I understand your pain. War is hell, and you shouldn't have to fight it just because your country needs you. Go ahead and take the next train home. If your friends want to leave too, just tell them Pappy said it was 'ok'....".

    bigal, Mar 28, 2006
  16. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Well then we wouldn't have had that wimpy soldier in the war making all kinds of terrible mistakes that cost the lives of real heroic soldiers and we'd have won the war faster.

    The Modfather, Mar 28, 2006
  17. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    Speed is the Key... i can prove that in an equation.

    Time = Distance / Speed (Simple physics there :p)

    If Distance is the same as (Land Taken + Death Toll of Other Country then)
    And Speed is the rate at which it is dont (eg 70 deaths a Second, 1 Country an Hour)
    But because we have idiots Speed is expressed (Speed - Idiots Speed)

    We get the Equation:

    Time = (Land Taken + Death Toll of Other Country then) / (Speed - Idiots Speed)

    Enough Randomness for one day i say :p

    unholy, Mar 28, 2006
  18. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    Right, my point exactly, except for the extranious "then" statements which make no sense.

    More like...

    Victory = Enemy Deaths + Land Taken - Friendly Deaths - Land Lost - Idiot Factor / Leadership factor (president^generals/officers)^Troops^2 * nukes.

    The Modfather, Mar 28, 2006
  19. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    As usual, BigAl comes through...

    Ok. I went to www.thermalright.com to find some answers. There are two installation PDF files that you can download, one for push-pin chipset mounts, and one for clip-type chipset mounts. Search for the HR-05 and you will find the instructions along with the PDF downloads.

    [​IMG][​IMG]

    ...........................................Above we see the push-pin kit.

    [​IMG][​IMG]

    ...........................................Here is the clip installation kit.

    Last edited: Mar 28, 2006
    bigal, Mar 28, 2006
  20. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    0
    See, I knew you could do it if you applied yourself. :)

    (Raise your hand if you didn't get that expression written on a report card at some time in your life). :)

    The Modfather, Mar 28, 2006