How do you add a second laptop to a network?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by ~AMDT~, Aug 18, 2005.

  1. ~AMDT~

    ~AMDT~ Guest

    Hi,
    I have a wifi router, cable modem, tower running xp pro, and a hp laptop
    with xp home networked together.
    The tower is cat 5ed to the router and HP laptop works off a network card.
    I bought another laptop, a Compaq, with wifi built in. I've not been able
    to add it to the network.
    I tried putting a guest account on all the machines, creating an admin
    account with the same name
    on the tower and Compaq per readings about networking.
    The tower and the HP get along splendedly.
    I remember when i did it the first time i had to put a file on a flash drive
    and then
    put the flash drive in the HP, but the instructions didn't tell me what was
    going on
    so I don't know much more than that.
    Is there a file somewhere on the HP or the Tower that I have to copy
    somewhere
    onto the Compaq?

    Thanks for any help.

    AMDT

    ~AMDT~, Aug 18, 2005

  2. ~AMDT~

    Malke Guest

    ~AMDT~ wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I have a wifi router, cable modem, tower running xp pro, and a hp
    > laptop with xp home networked together.
    > The tower is cat 5ed to the router and HP laptop works off a network
    > card.
    > I bought another laptop, a Compaq, with wifi built in. I've not been
    > able to add it to the network.
    > I tried putting a guest account on all the machines, creating an admin
    > account with the same name
    > on the tower and Compaq per readings about networking.
    > The tower and the HP get along splendedly.
    > I remember when i did it the first time i had to put a file on a flash
    > drive and then
    > put the flash drive in the HP, but the instructions didn't tell me
    > what was going on
    > so I don't know much more than that.
    > Is there a file somewhere on the HP or the Tower that I have to copy
    > somewhere
    > onto the Compaq?
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    >
    > AMDT

    Usually running the Network Setup Wizard will take care of this for you.
    You'll need to configure the new laptop's wireless to match the
    encryption on your router. Here is a link to help:

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/addxp.htm - Adding XP to
    an existing network

    Malke
    --