How do the Certifications work ? MCP->MCAD->MCSD

Discussion in 'MCAD' started by Sarah Smith, Sep 22, 2004.

  1. Sarah Smith

    Sarah Smith Guest

    Hello,

    I am studying VB.NET for Desktop application dev. I think I have the
    experience to pass (with a little more study), and then I'll take the
    first exam.

    I am assuming you are awarded an MCP cert first ... is this wrong or
    right?

    I also work with SQL Server, so I thought I would go for the MCAD and
    do it with VB Desktop, SQL Server, and XML Web Services.

    When you take your very first test, do you have to make the people at
    the test center aware of your intentions of taking several exams (so
    it will be noted at some point that you have achieved the MCAD cert)
    .... or do you just keep taking the individual exams until a
    certification shows up in the mail?

    A final question ... suppose one completes the MCAD and you then go on
    to take the remaining exams for the MCSD ... is your certification
    automatically upgrade?

    TIA,

    S.

    Sarah Smith, Sep 22, 2004

  2. Sarah Smith

    Bobby Guest

    Hi Sarah,

    Sarah: I am assuming you are awarded an MCP cert first ... is this wrong or
    right?
    Answer: Right.

    Sarah: When you take your very first test, do you have to make the people at
    the test center aware of your intentions of taking several exams (so
    it will be noted at some point that you have achieved the MCAD cert)
    .... or do you just keep taking the individual exams until a
    certification shows up in the mail?
    Answer: "just keep taking the individual exams"

    Sarah: A final question ... suppose one completes the MCAD and you then go on
    to take the remaining exams for the MCSD ... is your certification
    automatically upgrade?
    Answer: You'll have both, can keep both and certified in both MCAD and MCSD.

    Hope this helps.

    Bobby

    Bobby, Sep 22, 2004

  3. Sarah Smith

    Sarah Smith Guest

    Hi Bobby,

    Thanks a lot for a quick and concise response!

    No all I have to do is study, and hopefully pass :)

    -Sarah

    Sarah Smith, Sep 22, 2004
  4. Hi Sarah,

    To add to what Bobby said, the test center sends your score to Microsoft
    automatically. Your transcript is kept at
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcpmembersite.asp where you can log in
    and see it. Failed exams are not recorded, only passed exams. The software
    at the Microsoft site will calculate which certifications you have earned
    based on your passed exams. You can apply for a "Welcome Kit" that has your
    certificate, lapel pin, and wallet card, based on the certifications you
    have earned.

    Cindy Winegarden, Sep 22, 2004
  5. Sarah Smith

    Bobby Guest