How do I upg. 2620 to handle 4 T1s

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Christopher J. Hinkle, Apr 3, 2004.

  1. Hiya --

    I've got a 2620 router with two WIC-1DSU-T1 cards in it handling two
    load-balanced T1s for my network. If I get one or two more T1s, can I
    still use my 2620? I've seen the VWIC-2MFT-T1 cards, and I think if I
    replace the existing cards with two of the VWIC-2MFT-T1 ones, I should
    be able to handle four T1s, maybe? I hope? PLEASE?! :)

    Do I need to upgrade my memory and/or IOS? Here's what I've got
    now... any help would be greatly appreciated as we've maxed out our
    current two T1s:

    #sho ver
    IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-I-M), Version 12.0(5)T1, RELEASE
    SOFTWARE (fc1)
    Compiled Tue 17-Aug-99 13:57 by cmong
    Image text-base: 0x80008088, data-base: 0x8072C5D4

    ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 11.3(2)XA4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

    c2600 uptime is 6 hours, 53 minutes
    System returned to ROM by reload
    System image file is "flash:c2600-i-mz.120-5.T1.bin"

    cisco 2620 (MPC860) processor (revision 0x101) with 20480K/4096K bytes
    of memory
    ..
    Processor board ID JAB0322068J (1034540772)
    M860 processor: part number 0, mask 49
    Bridging software.
    X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.
    1 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
    2 Serial network interface(s)
    16384K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

    Configuration register is 0x2102

    Thanks,
    chris.

    Christopher J. Hinkle, Apr 3, 2004

  2. The VWIC card uses the T1s as PCM trunks for incoming voice calls.

    So that will not do the job as a data T1. Sorry. No magic here.

    Phillip Remaker, Apr 3, 2004

  3. Darn, does that mean I have to rip out those installations I have with
    2600's with VWIC-2MFT-T1 cards in them doing data only T1's?

    If they were PCM Voice-only T1 interfaces they would be VIC cards. But
    being VWIC cards, they can do either voice or data.

    The 2620 can handle 4 T1's doing data throughput with the VWIC cards,
    but the packet-per-second rating will be pretty much maxed out if you
    use the minimum packet-sizes that Cisco tests with. A real world mix
    of data puts it down into a more comfortable range, but I wouldn't be
    pressed to put that router into service doing lots of NAT or CBAC or
    VPN termination at the same time, you'll be running out of steam with
    that platform.

    Doug McIntyre, Apr 3, 2004
  4. I won't be doing NAT or VPN with the router (and I'm afraid I don't
    know what CBAC is). I might want to do some packet filtering and
    setting precedence, but that's about it.

    What do you think about how much memory I may need and if I should
    need to upgrade the IOS?

    Thanks very much,
    chris.

    Christopher J. Hinkle, Apr 4, 2004
  5. As long as its not going overboard, ACL's usually don't take up too
    much CPU unlike the bits I listed if they get hit really hard. Most
    ACL setups should be okay.
    The minimum IOS needed for the VWIC-2MFT-T1 card is 12.0(7)XK,
    12.1(1)T, 12.2 or 12.2T (and any 12.3 image).

    So if you are currently running as 12.2 image, then you don't even
    need to change anything out. If you need to upgrade to 12.2, then
    you'll just need to meet the memory requirements for the 12.2 image
    you upgrade to. Ie. The IP only image for 12.2(23) requires 24M of
    DRAM and 8M of Flash for the 2620 platform.

    Doug McIntyre, Apr 4, 2004
  6. Christopher J. Hinkle

    Hansang Bae Guest

    The other options is to get a 4 port serial module with external CSUs.

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Apr 4, 2004
  7. I've got like 14 machines in the list, so that shouldn't be too bad, I
    wouldn't think...
    I've got 12.0(5)T1 on there now, 24M DRAM and 16M flash. I guess I'll
    have to upgrade. Thanks very much for the info... :) If you have any
    suggestions as to where to get a new IOS cheaply, let me know. :)

    chris.

    Christopher J. Hinkle, Apr 5, 2004
  8. Go to www.cisco.com, search the security bulletins, find one with no
    workarounds which applies to 12.0(5)T1, and open a TAC case for your
    free security update (no SmartNet or warranty required). You'll
    probably have to choose between 12.0(latest) if you're not using any
    T train features, or 12.1(latest) if you are and have enough memory.
    Typically, the only eligibility requirement is that you are running a
    legally licensed IOS copy.

    Good luck and have fun!

    Vincent C Jones, Apr 5, 2004