    a long time to load, and so performance is very poor. Is there any way
    to test it and tell if the switch is simply defective, or maybe worn
    out?

    Charlie Hoffpauir, Nov 12, 2014

  2. Charlie Hoffpauir

    aaron Guest

    Guess I'd run a bunch of big, rapid pings or similar between known good devices on different ports, and see if you lose any. With any decent switch, you should lose virtually none.

    Aaron

    aaron, Nov 14, 2014

  3. Kinda sounds like the swtich is bad. Since an identical replacement
    is about $40 and up:
    <http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/161455326403>
    I would think it easiest to simply troubleshoot by replacement. If a
    new switch works better, then the old one is bad.

    However, I have had problems with Netgear power supplies, which can
    cause some really bizarre behavior.
    <http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/repair/slides/Netgear DSA-12R-12.html>
    Try a power supply with the same voltage rating, and equal or higher
    current rating.

    Jeff Liebermann, Nov 14, 2014
  4. Charlie Hoffpauir

    miso Guest

    It is Netgear. Of course it is bad.

    miso, Nov 14, 2014
  5. OK, I usually have "my" computer connected directly to the router, and
    all the other devices (DirecTV Genie, wife's computer, AP to phones
    and tablets) to the switch.... so I tried connecting my computer
    through the switch, and yes, it is definitely bad. Since I didn't need
    all 8 ports, I ordered a new 5 port switch.

    Thanks for all the suggestions.

    Charlie Hoffpauir, Nov 15, 2014