    Hi guys,

    I'm having some trouble with my backups, so I want to know how I can stop the SQL service via the command line so I can stop the service before the backups start and restart it when the backups are completed. The backup program already has the ability to run scripts before and after the backup jobs so I only need to know the commands for starting and stopping the local SQL service on the machines.

    Thanks...

    Guest, May 25, 2004

  2. Guest

    molsonexpert Guest

    the SQL service via the command line so I can stop the service before the
    backups start and restart it when the backups are completed. The backup
    program already has the ability to run scripts before and after the backup
    jobs so I only need to know the commands for starting and stopping the local
    SQL service on the machines.
    net stop mssqlserver

    It's in BOL.

    molsonexpert, May 25, 2004

  3. Guest

    no one Guest

    one cavaet: if you stop the sql server service, your
    system will be "down" while backing up. Does your
    operation allow for this down time? If not, then buy the
    SQL aware agent for your backup software application. It
    will backup up your sql databases even if they are "in
    use".

    no one, May 25, 2004
  4. Guest

    Paul Lynch Guest

    http://www.holgermetzger.de/pix/bart.jpg

    Regards,

    Paul Lynch
    MCSE

    Paul Lynch, May 25, 2004
  5. Guest

    Neil Guest

    Neil, May 25, 2004
  6. Guest

    Neil Guest

    further to this, if you are not going to anti up for the agent (which you
    should), consider using SQL backups to files (full database and trn
    backups) so that you can at least keep your transaction logs under
    control. These would then be backed up onto tape during a normal backup
    as well (even if you don't shut SQL down).

    Neil, May 25, 2004
  7. Guest

    Neil Guest

    Neil, May 25, 2004
  8. Guest

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    No, Paul must have bookmarked them way back in his LotW days...

    Ken Briscoe, May 25, 2004
  9. Guest

    Paul Lynch Guest

    Hey !!!

    I was Lamer of the YEAR, if you don't mind....

    Pah, LotW indeed..... some people...... I don't know....

    Regards,

    Paul Lynch
    MCSE

    Paul Lynch, May 25, 2004
  10. Guest

    Paul Lynch Guest

    Yes, I have got *literally* nothing else to do.....

    Regards,

    Paul Lynch
    MCSE

    Paul Lynch, May 25, 2004
  11. Guest

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    My bad...I have to brush up on my MCNGP history a little bit. "Paul's Year"
    was before my time. Sorry for insulting you.

    Ken Briscoe, May 25, 2004
  12. The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, May 25, 2004
  13. That's because people like you and Consultant are so damned good at your
    jobs, nothing breaks and you have lots of free time.

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, May 25, 2004
  14. nothing breaks and you have lots of free time.

    as it should be.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, May 25, 2004
  15. Guest

    Neil Guest

    it's noce to have something you are proud of...

    ;)

    Neil, May 25, 2004
  16. Guest

    Paul Lynch Guest

    Consultant is the Head Fries and Burger Chef, I just take the orders..

    ;-)

    Regards,

    Paul Lynch
    MCSE

    Paul Lynch, May 25, 2004
  17. Guest

    Neil Guest

    I'll put you in touch with my wife. There may still be some gardening that
    needs to be done at my house...

    Neil, May 25, 2004
  18. Guest

    Paul Lynch Guest

    'noce' ?! You try to confuse !

    Dude, proud of it ? Its on my CV (or resume for you colonial types)

    Regards,

    Paul Lynch
    MCSE

    Paul Lynch, May 25, 2004
  19. Guest

    Paul Lynch Guest

    A person with less professional integrity than myself would attempt to
    make some cheap remark about this......

    Regards,

    Paul Lynch
    MCSE

    Paul Lynch, May 25, 2004
  20. Guest

    Neil Guest

    I will need physical evidence of this. please have your HR dept email me
    thier copy of your CV as proof...

    Neil, May 25, 2004