    to do with this damned WPA/tkip/pre-shared key thing, I think I had a fight
    with that a few weeks ago.

    regards, Richard

    RJK, Jan 6, 2007

  2. RJK

    RJK Guest

    ....just pinged 192.168.1.152 / Linksys wag354g base address, that was ok as
    well

    regards, Richard

    RJK, Jan 6, 2007

  3. RJK

    RJK Guest

    Huge thanx for your help, continiuing to fiddle !

    regards, Richard

    RJK, Jan 6, 2007
  4. RJK

    David Hettel Guest

    Ok the computer that did this:
    has Internet access. Now if you open IE and are not getting a web page I
    suspect it's a firewall setting.

    You might want to installing this program;
    http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=5464827 down near the bottom of the page.

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    no rights.

    David Hettel, Jan 6, 2007
  5. RJK

    David Hettel Guest

    OK if you've disabled the DHCP server in the Linksys then in my opinion you
    do not want to leave the livebox in the demilitarized setting. My suggestion
    to do that was based on the understanding that the Linksys would still
    provide internet security, it's not if the DHCP server and NAT are off.

    David Hettel, Jan 6, 2007
  6. RJK

    RJK Guest

    my fault for not being clear.

    I did the ping on my PC, which is, connected to Linksys WAG354G with a LAN
    lead, and internet / IE is aok.
    It's Dad's Pc in the house, with Linksys WMP54G pci wireless card that won't
    connect to the Linksys wireless, it keeps briefly connecting and saying
    "Connected to the Access Point but, the internet cannot be found," then it
    disconnects and does it all again.

    regards Richard

    RJK, Jan 6, 2007
  7. RJK

    David Hettel Guest

    Ok So basically forget what it's saying and look at what it's doing.

    It appears to be pulling an IP address from the DHCP server, based on
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 06 January 2007 14:58:09
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 07 January 2007 14:58:09

    So now we need to figure out where the connection is breaking down. You can
    ping on your computer so that tells us it's a valid test for your dad's
    computer. That he can't ping suggest that it is a firewall problem to me.
    The firewall could block not only Internet access but the ability to ping.

    If your dad is running Windows XP then I would recommend installing Guided
    Help from here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326155/ or you can try
    un-installing ZoneAlarm simply turning it off doesn't always work. And
    seeing if you can then connect after rebooting.

    David Hettel, Jan 6, 2007
  8. RJK

    RJK Guest

    Thanx David,

    I feel like I'm running you around in cicles, ( as well as myself ), I'm
    going to now take a step back, and look at everything and describe
    everything as it currently is set, hopefully in a more succinct and sensible
    fashion. I'm obvoiusly going to have to attempt a more methodical approach
    !

    + you've got me wondering what I should be doing with the firewalls now.
    Should Livebox firewall be Off and/or its' IP address in the Livebox DMZ,
    what about the NAT and DMZ in the Linksys wag354g - I've so far left its'
    NAT on and not put anything in its' DMZ
    ...though I did earlier change the Livebox IP address and DMZ address in the
    Livebox from 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.152 ..I can't think why !

    ....anyway unless I'm missing something, somewhere, seeing as I've got the
    Livebox IP address (base address / is that the same thing?) set to
    192.168.1.100 , why should ipconfig /all report that it's 192.168.1.1 ?

    regards, Richard

    RJK, Jan 6, 2007
  9. RJK

    David Hettel Guest

    Hi Richard, Ok I believe you've been given three different ways of doing
    this in this thread. Unfortunately each way provides different features and
    trade offs. What is starting to happen is your combining ideas from
    different ways of doing it. Way back when you first ask Jack gave you IMHO
    the best answer, but that requires additional cost and hardware.

    Next came the idea that you'll turn the Linksys into an access point. That
    means you give the Linksys a lobotomy, you dumb it down, and the livebox
    becomes the brains of your network. I thought that's not what you wanted to
    do, that you wanted some of the features of the Linksys.

    Last option gives most of what you want as I understand it. All your
    computers will connect to the Linksys. The Linksys will connect to the
    livebox. You get to use the smarts of the Linksys.

    Now you need to pick one method and stay with it. All will work, but you'll
    have different features.

    The Firewalls you are using will make a big difference, depending on how
    many you are using and how they are configured.

    David Hettel, Jan 6, 2007
  10. RJK

    rjk Guest

    Again, multitudes of thanks for your help, I think I don't now know what I
    did want, ...though I did lose best part of a day trying to do it, ...and
    ended up with things just as they were !!! ...After almost losing access to
    the innards of both routers, and after having to connect them back up to how
    I didn't want them, so that I could reset things so that I could connect and
    access them one at a time - I think I'll now leave well enough alone !

    I'm pretty sure that at one point during this afternoon, ( goodness,
    ...yesterday!), I had at least one working hardware configuration, with
    "correct," or "non-conflicting" software settings in both routers, (even
    though I didn't really understand what I was doing with address ranges, base
    address, IP address etc.) but, got 'thrown' because the WMP54G pci card in
    Dads' PC in the house was refusing to connect. I now don't like the WMP54G
    software! Anyway I've got things back to the state they were in prior to my
    dabblings i.e. Just the Orange Live box feeding internet into my PC in my
    outside "office" ...or hobby room you could call it, and wireless internet
    into this thing, (am on Dad's PC in the house atm), which has now connected
    by itself three times in a row after 3 reboots, ...after uninstalling the
    WMP54G software | rebooting | reinstalling it | rebooting, and having
    tweaked the default profile that only appears now and again, so that its'
    settings are the same as in the profile I created, ...so that it will
    finally connect by itself after boot-up, without having to rummage in the
    system tray / Linksys "Open Monitor." I damned well couldn't even make the
    thing connect using MS wireless zero settings ...had to fall back on the
    Linksys software ...must be losing my touch !

    I think I'll be soon wading through some networking primers !

    Thanks again

    regards, Richard

    rjk, Jan 7, 2007
  11. RJK

    RJK Guest

    Well, ...here I go again. I think I'd like to try connecting this Livebox
    to my Linksys again but, my little bit of trial and error and reading has
    raised more questions than for which I've been able to locate answers.

    To be clear, Livebox will have the adsl line plugged into it, Linksys
    WAG354G will connect to Livebox with rj45 lead - similar to
    http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html but, the longer I sit here reading this
    procedure the more confused I become i.e. it seems to raise so many
    questions about DHCP and address ranges. And I want to have wireless in the
    Livebox switched off, and on in the Linksys. ...is this heading towards
    Port Forwarding rather than DMZ ? Can I have, or do I need DHCP on in both
    routers but, with different address ranges ?

    Is "base address" the same as the IP address assigned to both modem routers
    ?
    Is assigning 192.168.1.1 (which was the default address) to the Livebox, and
    assigning 192.168.1.2 to the Linksys okay ?
    Is it possible or necessary to have DHCP on in both routers - with different
    address ranges of course ?
    In which router do I have to set a DMZ ?
    Is that DMZ the local IP address of one of the routers.
    Does NAT firewalls in them have to be turned off ?
    When I click status in the Linksys router, or Livebox, and look at my IP
    address, I noticd that my dynamic IP address is 84.??.??.?? etc. and the
    subnet mask is 255.255.255.255 Does this have to different that the LAN
    subnet mask in the routers which are both 255.255.255.0 ?

    Would it be better to connect them the other way around - still with
    wireless switched off in Livbox, in view that the firmware in the Livebox
    seems less adjustable than that in the Linksys. i.e. I don't think I can
    switch off DHCP in the Livebox but, only control the address range, and you
    can't individually control NAT filter proxy, Java Applets, ActiveX controls
    and Cookies like you can in the Linksys. Also one can't control the MAC
    addresses of wirelessly connecting computers in the Livebox like you can in
    the Linksys.

    At the end of the day, I want to have the Linksys as my main router with
    wireless, and have the Livebox connected to it, so that I can use the
    hardware VOIP feature in it. Would that be possible having the Linksys
    connected as the main modem/router, and the Livebox connected to it by rj45
    lead.
    ....or should I be heading towards this type of configuration
    http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html ?

    Thanks for all your help.

    regards, Richard

    RJK, Jan 8, 2007
  12. RJK

    RJK Guest

    Just spotted "Static Routing" in the Linksys WAG354G router, would that be a
    better approach ?
    i.e. have the adsl line into the Linksys and set use Static Routing, as in
    that menu I can set Destination IP address, Subnet Mask, Gateway and
    Hopcount ?

    regards, Richard

    RJK, Jan 8, 2007