    newsreader. I don't know the official name of the forum for NNTP though -- I
    can't find anywhere obvious where MS lists it.

    ??Anyone know??

    Guest, Jun 27, 2005

  2. Open Outlook Express, click Tools > Accounts > News (tab) > Add > News >
    press next > next, your news (NNTP) Server is "msnews.microsoft.com" > press
    next > then "Finish", a dialogue will now pop up asking your to download a
    list of newsgroups, the one you want to go to is,
    microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 27, 2005

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thank you.

    I see now that I couldn't find the forum because my newsgroup list needed a
    good 'refreshing.'.

    Guest, Jun 27, 2005
  4. Guest

    R. C. White Guest

    Or just click here:

    Unless blocked by something like a corporate firewall, that one click should
    do all that Andre listed - except download the list of newsgroups - and
    bring you right back here, but using OE rather than the web-based interface.

    Later, you can use OE's Tools | Options... to customize OE to suit yourself.

    Generally speaking, newbies asking questions prefer using the web.
    Experienced users usually prefer OE or some other newsreader.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Jun 27, 2005
  5. Hear, hear :)

    Thomas G. Madsen, Jun 28, 2005
  6. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 28, 2005
  7. I prefer Xnews but would probably use OE too, if I had a dialup
    connection. I use OE (and Outlook 2003) for mails though.

    Thomas G. Madsen, Jun 28, 2005
  8. Guest

    The Primate Guest

    I've used a newsreader for probably 10yrs or so but must admit the web-based
    interface is not too bad nowadays. Needless to say I was disappointed when
    Creative Labs dropped their NG based forums.
    <snip>

    The Primate, Jun 28, 2005
  9. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 28, 2005
  10. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 28, 2005
  11. Guest

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Andre.

    It's slow on broadband, too!

    The slowdown is not in the transmission over the wires, but in the internal
    processing at the Microsoft end.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Jun 28, 2005
  12. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 28, 2005
  13. Guest

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    Try your own provider. Some carry a mirror.

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Jun 29, 2005