    to real DOS, not DOS in a window, to run the software update
    programme. How can I best do this.

    Thanks

    Guest, Feb 19, 2004

  2. Guest

    Rupert Guest

    Rupert, Feb 19, 2004

  3. Guest

    mario Guest

    mario, Feb 19, 2004
  4. Guest

    Dave Taylor Guest

    wrote in
    Use this boot disk image.
    Link came from www.bootdisk.com
    http://www.abitfaq.it/Files/drdflash.exe

    XP does not let you boot to dos and in some cases the "Create MSDOS Boot
    floppy" command does not let you use that disk for flashing, it is often
    too full to hold the flash exe and rom image so I would not bother. You
    can try it though. Right click on the A: drive and select Format.
    Select make bootable disk or similar command. I dont have a floppy drive
    so I can't tell you the exact wording. I would use the DRdos disk in the
    URL above.
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Feb 19, 2004
  5. Can't you start the computer in dos mode ? I thought that was an
    option (but might be an earlier version ??).

    Bruce

    Bruce Sinclair, Feb 19, 2004
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thanks guys for your help. I now have a workable solution.

    Guest, Feb 19, 2004
  7. Guest

    Gurble Guest

    Not with Windows XP - the Command Line is just an emulator, rather
    than the real thing.

    Gurble, Feb 19, 2004
  8. Guest

    Dave Guest

    ummmm - this has got me wondering, What *is* a command line and how is
    something that "emulates one" by giving you an interface in which you type
    somehow less "real" than the ... well ... REAL one

    btw - the NT family use cmd (command prompt) which is actually a different
    shell to dos (command.exe).

    I think what you need is the recovery console - boot from CD and read
    screens carefully

    Dave

    Dave, Feb 19, 2004
  9. Guest

    Mainlander Guest

    In previous versions of Windows you were loading Command.com in real mode
    rather than protected mode, with the input/output in a console text
    format i.e. 80x25 or whatever number of lines.

    Commands were processed by the command shell command.com.

    Obviously with XP they have decided to dispense with command.com

    Mainlander, Feb 21, 2004
  10. Guest

    Enkidu Guest

    It's still there. However it only works in 8.3 mode (I think). The
    correct program is cmd.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Feb 21, 2004