    boot disks, but isnt that to be used only when installing xp?

    Thanks in advance

    - Daniel

    Daniel, Jun 11, 2004

  2. Daniel

    °Mike° Guest

    You can't start in real DOS, but you can start
    in Safe Mode Command Prompt. Press the F8
    key at startup and select it from the menu.
    Of course, if your file system is FAT32, you could
    use a Windows 98 bootup floppy.

    °Mike°, Jun 11, 2004

  3. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    The win98 bootdisk didnt work because my file system is NTFS.

    But i'll try command prompt.

    Thanks

    Daniel, Jun 11, 2004
  4. Daniel

    °Mike° Guest

    You're welcome.

    °Mike°, Jun 11, 2004
  5. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    I tried safe mode with command prompt and when I tried overwriting the dll
    file, it said it was in use.
    Then I tried formatting a floppy disk and making it boot ms-dos, but that
    way it wasnt recognising c: drive.

    Stupid windows xp : '(

    Daniel, Jun 11, 2004
  6. Daniel

    °Mike° Guest

    It's STILL in use? Did you choose SAFE MODE
    with Command Prompt?

    What is the name of the file that you need to
    restore?

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Jun 11, 2004
  7. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Yep, I chose Safe Mode with Command Prompt, my resolution was even 640x480
    and it had Safe mode written in the corners with the command prompt window
    open.

    I'm trying to replace the file "ole32.dll" cos my programs keep crashing and
    in the error report window, the error always has that dll file name in it.

    Daniel, Jun 11, 2004
  8. Daniel

    Painter Guest

    Yes NTFS can be a pain.

    but before you go any further I suggest you make a copy of the DLL you are
    trying to replace to a floppy and rename it. Then put the new copy of the
    dll on the floppy.

    Boot to Dos from a 98boot disc then use file compare and see if there are
    any differences between the 2 files.

    I suggest this because usually often the error from a DLL is because the DLL
    is being incorrectly called rather than being corrupted, so that when you do
    finally manage to replace it the problem does not go away.

    Best of luck. They can be a pig to sort out.

    When I bought a laptop with XP on it, I removed everything from the hard
    drive, by removing the partition and set the drive up as FAT32 and installed
    XP etc. back on the machine. The laptop works well, but I know if I get a
    problem then I can work on the drive from a DOS boot disk.

    Painter, Jun 11, 2004
  9. Daniel

    Hamman Guest

    Start > Run > "sfc /scannow" [enter]

    windows file protection will scan all crucial files and replace them from
    your windows CD.

    hamman

    Hamman, Jun 11, 2004
  10. Daniel

    Plato Guest

    Not possible in XP.

    Plato, Jun 11, 2004
  11. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Fri,
    To put it simply, you can't. Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000 and Windows
    XP are not and have never used DOS. In fact, they use a completely
    different operating system than the MS-DOS/Win 3.1/Win 9X/Win ME
    family of Windows. You might try renaming the errant dll file and then
    inserting the new version of the file. OTH, why are you trying to do
    this?

    Dr Harvie Wahl-Banghor
    ---

    Brantard explains his employment as a migrant farm worker before his permanent residency as a vagrant/wandering-nutjob/welfare-recipient in the Minneapolis/ St. Paul area:
    Nelly is Mexican.

    In message ID:<8.minneapolis1.mn.us.da.qwest.net>

    Who ever said Brandon Hex was white?

    In message ID:<8.minneapolis1.mn.us.da.qwest.net>

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Jun 11, 2004
  12. Daniel

    °Mike° Guest

    Which programs crash, and in what circumstances?

    What are the VERBATIM error messages?

    Simply replacing ole32.dll may not be the answer.

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Jun 11, 2004
  13. Daniel

    nevermind Guest

    If you use a win98SE boot disk with the right stuff on it, you can access
    your NTFS disk. ntfs reader, or similar things, just do a google search for
    DOS boot with NTFS support

    nevermind, Jun 11, 2004
  14. Daniel

    Boomer Guest

    Hi

    Do you own or have permission to use the domain 'joes.com'?

    Also could you please include some of the message you are responding
    to,
    in your reply?
    (Tools> Options> Send tab, tick the "Include message in Reply" box.)

    It makes it difficult to follow a thread when you write a reply and
    others have no clue on what the question or discussion was about.

    Further info:

    Thanks

    Boomer, Jun 11, 2004
  15. Daniel

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    try that bootdisk.com link for a dos bootdisk.
    assuming he isn't using NTFS

    -a|ex

    127.0.0.1, Jun 11, 2004
  16. Daniel