How do I replace sound chip on motherboard with sound card?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John, May 6, 2004.

  1. John

    John Guest

    I bought a computer a while back that has one of those Via audio chips
    and the resulting static is unacceptable. I would like to replace it
    with the SoundBlaster card from my old computer. If the card will fit
    into the motherboard, will the Win XP recognise it and automatically
    switch to it when I install the driver or do I need to do something else
    like pull the chip? Not being a tech guy, I will appreciate any advise.
    John, May 6, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  2. John

    Guest Guest

    No need to pull the chip, you should be able to disable it
    in the BIOS. Just go into setup as the machine boots.

    The chip is probably not removable anyhow - unless you use a
    sodering iron (btw, an oxy-acetylene torch is faster and
    would probably produce the same effect as you trying to
    unsolder a surface mount chip).

    XP should recognise the card and set it up for you - unless
    it is very old.

    Static is unusual, IMO. Sure it isn't something simple, like
    you have the microphone channel or other unused audio input
    channel enabled?
    Guest, May 6, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  3. John

    °Mike° Guest

    Consult your motherboard manual, and disable
    the onboard sound chip in the BIOS. Windows
    will automatically recognise your new sound
    °Mike°, May 6, 2004
  4. John

    Toolman Tim Guest

    If the board *doesn't* allow you to disable the audio in the CMOS setup,
    there may be a jumper on the board to do that. (Some CMOS setup screens are
    rather limited in what they allow a user to do...)
    Toolman Tim, May 7, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.