    I want to do this without disturbing Service Pack 3, current software,
    settings. What is the simplest way to do this with this setup?

    David

    geercom, Dec 24, 2008

  2. Download SP3 (drm crap up dont need) and burn it to a disk first?

    §ñühw¤£f, Dec 25, 2008

  3. geercom

    geercom Guest

    Thank you,

    Forget the part about the Service Pack 3, that is not the major issue.
    This is:

    "> > I have XP Pro on IBM Thinkpad R40 2681C8U. I
    I have a slipstreamed CD with XP Pro and SP3, as well. However, the XP
    Pro version used for the slipstream will not likely work as this
    computer is tied to the Recovery CDs and the version of XP Pro that is
    on the computer. The Recovery CDs have no option for just rerunning
    setup. The Thinkpad doesn't allow you to re-run setup via
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\setup.exe. It keeps saying to add or remove
    programs via the Control Panel.

    A few sentences of walk through from someone with the same hardware or
    with proficiency over this territory would be most appreciated. I
    simply haven't done it in quite a while (good system).

    Anyone?

    Thx, David

    geercom, Dec 25, 2008
  4. Get a diskwashing program,

    http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Best/erase-disk-free.html

    burn it to cd, wipe drive, install from recovery cds and load up your
    programs.
    Or, find a local who will do it for a fee.

    §ñühw¤£f, Dec 25, 2008
  5. geercom

    geercom Guest

    I do not want to do a system recovery. I do not want to reformat. I do
    not want to use the Recovery CDs unless they have an option to ONLY
    run windows setup. I do want a way to run ONLY windows setup, which
    would not require any of the above. Do you know what only running
    windows setup is?

    I am concerned that doing it with CDs other than those that came with
    this system would not work because of the unique , hidden partition
    the system uses that is meant to avoid needing OS CDs altogether. If
    this is not the case and (1) there are no issues around inserting just
    any old slipstreamed XP Pro CD with SP 3, (2) based on any old XP Pro
    release CD (3) to run only the setup proceedure, then I can do that.

    If you have been a tech long enough, you know that on previous Windows
    OS like 98 all you had to do was rerun setup.exe with the OEM or
    release CD and you could easily have a cherry OS again without having
    to reformat beneath it or reinstall service packs or other software on
    top of it.

    Does the fact that this computer is setup with a hidden partition with
    the OS and the fact it is made to restore with a restore CD prevent me
    from taking a slipstreamed XP Pro CD with XP SP3 and using that to
    just run setup?

    I want to do this for several reasons: (1) it used to be the easiest
    free way to get a whole windows OS back in order (2) the system acts
    like the HDD is going (the system is buggy sometimes, programs like
    FF2 close on their own rather frequently, icons and shortcuts have the
    wrong images assigned to them, etc) BUT the system never seems to find
    any bad sectors on the HDD (3) I don't have time to reformat, etc and
    I don't have time for a new HDD install (the keyboard won't come out
    on this one anyway, which is how you get to the HDD), (4) the system
    is OK enough to continue working with it as is but some improvement
    could be seen by rerunning setup.

    So, if I use a CD that did not come with this system (as described
    above), can I simply rerun setup on this system? Will it work? Is it
    supposed to work or is it more likely to damage the system?

    geercom, Dec 26, 2008
  6. geercom

    M.L. Guest

    M.L., Dec 26, 2008
  7. geercom

    geercom Guest

    Thank you, Paul, and everyone for your kind and patient assistance. I
    have the information I need, and now, when I set aside the time, I
    should be able to complete the process. If not, I know which group to
    look to. You are very knowledgeable and professional folks. I really
    appreciate the lack of flaming!

    Best,
    David

    geercom, Dec 26, 2008