    my pictures and music files, some of which are irreplaceable. Any
    suggestions?

    Thanks, Don

    Don C, Sep 10, 2003

  2. You can put another harddrive on your computer and save all your files to
    the that harddrive.

    Fred Sherrill, Sep 10, 2003

  3. Don C

    Don C Guest

    I realize that, but that can fail too. Maybe I'm asking for the impossible,
    but is there a sure fire, file storage system?
    -Don

    Don C, Sep 11, 2003
  4. Don C

    Patrick Guest

    If files are particuarly valuable then do multiple copies of them to various
    media,
    HDD, floppy, CD, web-page, friends-computer,
    last two being interesting in that you'll have a copy if your home gets
    blown up.

    Or in a word; redundency

    PS just for a larf, get a powerfull laser and carve your data onto the face
    of the Moon, (incase the World blows up). Or....
    Ho Ho Ho, I am so funny! :)

    Patrick, Sep 11, 2003
  5. Works for me. I've got four computers on peer to peer. Each one has two hard
    drives. I just copy and paste to one of the hard drives each night then go
    to bed. I do put the information I copy on a different computer. Ala, Info
    on computer 1 goes to computer 2 and info on computer 2 goes to computer 1.
    What are the chances they both get hit by electricity?

    CD's and Tapes suck. Put you are hitting the hard drive you are copying on
    each time. You'll know if it is screwed up. Buy another hard drive, slave it
    and start saving your data again. Best why I know of.

    Fred Sherrill, Sep 11, 2003
  6. Don C

    philo Guest

    i put my data on multiple harddrives and burn several cd's
    but ideally you should keep a copy away from your house...
    such as a safety deposit box

    philo, Sep 11, 2003
  7. Don C

    Plato Guest

    agreed.

    Plato, Sep 11, 2003
  8. Don C

    hugh jass Guest

    sounds like a make-work project to me.

    --
    ______________________
    : Works for me. I've got four computers on peer to peer. Each one has two
    hard
    : drives. I just copy and paste to one of the hard drives each night then go
    : to bed. I do put the information I copy on a different computer. Ala, Info
    : on computer 1 goes to computer 2 and info on computer 2 goes to computer
    1.
    : What are the chances they both get hit by electricity?
    :
    :
    :
    : CD's and Tapes suck. Put you are hitting the hard drive you are copying on
    : each time. You'll know if it is screwed up. Buy another hard drive, slave
    it
    : and start saving your data again. Best why I know of.
    :
    :
    :
    : : >
    : > : > > You can put another harddrive on your computer and save all your files
    : > > the that harddrive.
    : > >
    : > I realize that, but that can fail too. Maybe I'm asking for the
    : impossible,
    : > but is there a sure fire, file storage system?
    : > -Don
    : >
    : >
    :
    :

    hugh jass, Sep 11, 2003
  9. Don C

    Don C Guest

    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm seriously considering the one about burning
    my data on the face of the moon, but then again, we'll probably blow that up
    too. I guess I'll have to try multiple planets.
    -Don

    Don C, Sep 11, 2003
  10. Don C

    Ogre Guest

    I believe in data redundancy and I use a removable hard disk drive caddy.
    Much less chance of something going wrong if the backup disk is not
    connected to your computer 24/7. If you really want ease of use you can
    always get one of those IDE to USB hard disk drive converters. Also for a
    great way to backup all of the data I use Acronis True Image.

    Ogre, Sep 11, 2003
  11. Don C

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    Multiple copies in different physical locations.

    There is no such thing as absolute security. What if next month, out
    of the sun's glare comes a 100 km asteroid which is destined to turn
    where you are and the 1000 km radius around it into a lake of lava?

    Have a nice day

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Sep 12, 2003