    Not that that helps.

    Thanks in advance.

    Mr Curious

    ng_reader, Aug 16, 2009

  2. ng_reader

    Mike Easter Guest

    What impairment interferes with your ability to post the Motorola
    modelno?

    Mike Easter, Aug 16, 2009

  3. ng_reader

    ng_reader Guest

    VT-2542; does that make a difference?

    ng_reader, Aug 16, 2009
  4. ng_reader

    Mike Easter Guest

    As it turns out, not for the purposes I had in mind. A nice piece of
    software for visual display of router logs for Windows users, which
    includes you is WallWatcher - which doesn't work with all models of
    various brand routers.

    As it turns out, it doesn't work with any Motorolas, so that angle on
    the modelno turned out to be moot; but the modelno could be important
    for some other reasons.

    The business of whether or not a particular modelno of router helps you
    keep logs and analyze them is very important; so the modelno of the
    router is important for that perspective.

    Mike Easter, Aug 16, 2009
  5. ng_reader

    Mike Easter Guest

    The VT-2542 keeps logs.

    p50 of the manual "Remote Log - Router - You can forward logged events
    of a specified severity level or higher to a remote computer. Each log
    message is assigned a severity level, which indicates how seriously the
    triggering event affects voice gateway functions."

    The problem is that the 'shape' of the data logs a router keeps aren't
    usually appealing or anything you would ever want to look at. That's
    the beauty of wallwatcher; it takes ugly text logs which no one would
    want to look at and turns them into a useful graphical thing of beauty
    and meaningfulness and 'expression'.

    Mike Easter, Aug 16, 2009
  6. ng_reader

    ng_reader Guest

    Thanks. I had a rather inexpensive Netgear router that mailed me router
    logs. I found it a little interesting. Not reading the manual but calling
    customer service - was told that particular model had no such ability. So,
    thanks, and forgive my ignorance.

    But I'll tell you that Wireshark thing is pretty neat. It's a 20mb file but
    it looks really helpful. Now if I could get inside those packets and make
    out the text...

    OH. Thanks all. Have a wonderful day.

    ng_reader, Aug 16, 2009
  7. ng_reader

    Mike Easter Guest

    Ethereal/wireshark is a very powerful and popular tool; but I suspect
    that you won't find it exactly 'intuitive'.

    Mike Easter, Aug 16, 2009
  8. Mike Easter <> pinched out a steaming pile
    Yeah...I downloaded it a few years back...fired it up...stared at
    it...pushed some clicky things...read a few entries in the help file
    and realised it was for smart people.

    ^_^

    §ñühw¤£f, Aug 16, 2009
  9. Sure, connection log for 'wireless'.