    What would be my best option?

    TIA
    Arawak

    Arawak, Sep 3, 2003

  2. Arawak

    rifleman Guest

    Can I ask why you need a bootable drive from WITHIN Windows? the usual
    thing is to use a bootable drive from OUTSIDE windows, ie when
    installing or re-installing the OS, which is a BIOS function.

    rifleman, Sep 3, 2003

  3. Arawak

    Arawak Guest

    Let's see if I can explain myself better....I want another option to
    access my system when the inevitable happens, virus attack, blue
    screen, whatever. My Dell notebook does not have a built-in floppy
    drive and when I am on the road I don't always carry the big bulky
    external floppy drive with me. I want to be able to bootup my computer
    using the very small USB 2.0 enclosure containing a 2.5" laptop hard
    drive which currently has no operating system. I simply want to put
    the operating system on the drive. DELL tech support told me if I can
    make the drive bootable my Latitude D400 will boot from it as long I
    make that an option during the boot process from within the BIOS,
    which i have done but that's the extent of the assistance they can
    provide.

    Arawak, Sep 3, 2003
  4. Arawak

    Cubzilla Guest

    Can you get an adapter and drop the 2.5" in a PC then prep it ?

    Regards

    Cubzilla, Sep 3, 2003
  5. Arawak

    Arawak Guest

    Well, I found a USB DOS driver after hunting via google and after a
    few bad starts was able to get the drive recognized in DOS. I then
    FDISK'd it to create a partition (FAT). When I re-booted the system
    into Win98, I was then allowed to Format it with the /S switch and now
    all is fine.
    I had hoped to find a program similar to WinImage which allows your to
    write a bootable image to a diskette but so far no luck.

    Arawak, Sep 4, 2003
  6. Arawak

    doS Guest

    You aint doing so good there ardvark..

    doS, Sep 4, 2003
  7. Arawak

    JabberSmith Guest

    Make a bootable CD instead, like the Windows Disk. Or even get Ghost and
    put an image of your install compressed on a CD.

    Keep you file system FAT32 (partitioning may be necessary).

    Make a small FAT32 partition with windows setup on it, or a second OS, or
    get a Knoppix CD to use (entire operating system on a CD).

    If your laptop HD is toast on the road, you are screwed anyway. Only thing
    you need to worry about is backup of your data files and a working OS. You
    can do that with a little creative manipulation of the stuff you already
    have.

    JabberSmith, Sep 4, 2003
  8. Arawak

    Arawak Guest

    You win!

    Arawak, Sep 4, 2003
  9. Arawak

    rifleman Guest

    Why not use the Windows XP CD? That's bootable.

    rifleman, Sep 4, 2003
  10. Arawak

    Willard Guest

    What DOS driver did you use??

    Would you please post the link, where you found it??

    Willard

    Willard, Sep 4, 2003