How do I make a folder shortcut icon look cooler than just a folder?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by nospam@nospam.net.org.com, Mar 22, 2005.

  1. Guest

    If I make a desktop shortcut for a drive or device, its icon is a
    cool-looking picture, like a representation of a disk for a hard
    drive, or a representation of a memory card for a card reader.

    I have a desktop shortcut that points to the folder on my memory card
    in which my camera's digital pictures are stored. The icon is, of
    course, a folder. If I change the icon to point to the "root
    directory" of the card (H:\), the icon changes to a pretty image of
    the card itself. Where is this image stored? Or where are the images
    of the drives, CDs, DVDs, etc., stored, that appear as the "my
    computer" icons for them?

    I'd like to right-click on a shortcut that points into a subdirectory
    of the card reader and change the icon to be what I see if the
    shortcut points to the root. But if I pick "browse" I can't find such
    a file.

    This is a murky description of what I'm trying to do, but there must
    be a way.

    , Mar 22, 2005

  2. Dave Lear Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > I have a desktop shortcut that points to the folder on my memory
    > card in which my camera's digital pictures are stored. The icon
    > is, of course, a folder. If I change the icon to point to the "root
    > directory" of the card (H:\), the icon changes to a pretty image
    > of the card itself. Where is this image stored? Or where are the
    > images of the drives, CDs, DVDs, etc., stored, that appear as
    > the "my computer" icons for them?

    Once you create a shortcut, right-click, choose Properties from the pop-up
    and use this as the source of icons...

    %SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll

    That's where the system icons you're on about are stored.

    Dave Lear, Mar 22, 2005

  3. °Mike° Guest

    Browse to: \Windows\System32\shell32.dll

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 20:50:20 GMT, in
    <>
    scrawled:

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Mar 22, 2005
  4. Guest

    Thanks for the suggestions. Starting with your information, and by
    doing a small amount of poking around, I discovered that
    c:\winnt\dit.dll contained the icons for the media types supported by
    my reader, and changed the icon in a snap.

    , Mar 22, 2005