    I went through every sound in my media files which I accessed through
    the Sounds section of my control panel and it's not in there. Is there
    any other folder it could be in?

    joe54345, Dec 5, 2005

  2. joe54345

    old jon Guest

    IE\Tools\Options\General, play sounds. Just untick it.
    bw..OJ

    old jon, Dec 5, 2005

  3. joe54345

    old jon Guest

    Sorry Joe that should be OE.
    bw..OJ

    old jon, Dec 5, 2005
  4. joe54345

    joe54345 Guest

    what is OE and where do I find it?

    joe54345, Dec 5, 2005
  5. joe54345

    old jon Guest

    Outlook Express. Don`t you use it for your email ?.

    old jon, Dec 5, 2005
  6. What email program do you use?

    Joe

    Patrick Cleburne, Dec 5, 2005
  7. joe54345

    why? Guest

    You wouldn't want to make it easier to give you an aswer if you happen
    to mention what proggy you use for email?

    The Windows NT/2000 , default sound scheme (where you were in CP) is
    New Mail Notification - notify.wav

    The default sounds usually hang around the c:\windows folder , or
    c:\winnt, depends where what drive / path your Windows is installed on.

    Windows 2000 seems to be \winnt\media\notify.wav
    while Win XP x64 is \windows\media\notify.wav

    That's of course what normal setups use, you seem to have something
    special.

    Me

    why?, Dec 5, 2005
  8. joe54345

    Pat Guest

    And the email program is???????

    Pat, Dec 5, 2005
  9. joe54345

    joe54345 Guest

    Sorry, been a bit busy. It's Outlook 2003 - not express. I use it on my
    work computer. I tried to find sounds in options but it doesn't offer
    any. I thought all sounds on my computer were in the Media section but
    I went through all those sounds and can't seem to find this one.

    joe54345, Dec 5, 2005
  10. joe54345

    why? Guest

    It's no fun not guessing.

    Me

    why?, Dec 5, 2005
  11. joe54345

    Pat Guest

    Sorry, I can't help much. I never installed Outlook or OE. Pegasus, the
    email client I use, has an option to turn off sounds. Perhaps there is
    something in the preferences or options or settings menu of Outlook for
    that.

    Pat, Dec 6, 2005
  12. joe54345

    Mike Easter Guest

    I don't use OL but I'm reading that it is in Tools/ Options/ Email/
    Advanced email options - uncheck play sound when email arrives.

    Mike Easter, Dec 6, 2005
  13. joe54345

    why? Guest

    Just your bad luck, I choose not to install OL 2003 a few days ago since
    I don't use it, and thus can't run a file monitor to see what sound file
    it looks for. Oh and most likely a email account as well :)

    As Mike Easter said, it's in the same location for OL 2000.

    If I click on the ? button then Play a sound , a popup says

    Plays a sound when a new message arrives. To specify the sound you want,
    double-click the <bold>Sound</bold> icon in Windows Control Panel.

    Me

    why?, Dec 6, 2005
  14. joe54345

    why? Guest

    Okay, so I installed OL 2003 (Office Professional Enterprise 2003) on
    the XP Pro x64 PC, made an email account , setup everything to go and
    got snookered by my ISP mail problems. Anyway the file monitor from
    sysinternals worked and finally when a mail arrived the sound file you
    most likely were looking for in CP/Sounds in your first post is (on my
    setup, yours may differ).

    J:\Windows\media\Windows XP Ding.wav

    It's the default beep , not the New Mail Notification option sound.

    Me

    why?, Dec 6, 2005