How do I get my Windows XP OS onto my new hard drive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by dejola, Sep 15, 2006.

  1. dejola

    dejola Guest

    My old hard drive is 85 per cent full so I went out and bought a new
    200GB Seagate drive and will be installing it this evening. I need
    help.

    Right now I have a c: drive, a d: drive, and an h: guide. My OS is on
    the c: drive.

    When I install the new hard drive I'll have yet another. I don't use
    the d: drive and the h: drive.

    I would like to end up with the new drive as my primary drive and
    create three partitions. On one I will install he OS, on another my
    apps, and on the third my data.

    Can anyone tell me how to accomplish this?

    Thanks.

    dejola, Sep 15, 2006

  2. Yes, give it to someone who knows what they are doing.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Sep 15, 2006

  3. dejola

    dejola Guest

    Thanks, BRIAN. That certainly is one option, but not the guidance I
    was hoping for. Still, your profound insight is dazzling and much
    appreciated.

    dejola, Sep 15, 2006
  4. dejola

    PeeCee Guest

    Dejola

    Go to the website of the new hard drives manufacturer (Segate, Maxtor......)
    In their download section you should find some utility software (eg
    Seatools...) that will allow you to:
    a) Prepare the hard drive with the number and size of partitions you wish
    (select the Custom option)
    b) "Image" the contents of your present "C:" drive to the first partition of
    your new drive.
    After b) you should then be able to swap the new drive in place of the old
    C: drive.

    I recently guided a client using Western Digital tools to upgrade from a
    20GB to a 160GB
    It was certainly 'easy' for the client as the process and settings were
    explained all the way, complete with a detailed instruction manual with
    drive jumper settings for printing out.

    One 'gotcha' you need to be aware of is the 137GB limit the bios of older
    motherboards have.
    (ie the motherboard only sees the first 137GB of your 200GB drive, the rest
    is inaccessable)
    Partitioning may well avoid this issue, but if it crops up you know the
    reason why.

    You don't mention your OS but if it's XP you can change drive letters &
    perform other disk management functions from:
    Control Panel
    Administrative Tools
    Computer Management
    Storage
    Disk Management.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Sep 15, 2006
  5. dejola

    james Guest

    Why create partitions on the same drive? No point in doing that because if
    the hard drive fails it will fail, you can't just go and recover bits and
    pieces!
    Use Norton Ghost to copy over your C drive to the new one. You can get
    various utilities to format and partition if you really want to. Try
    partition magic.

    james, Sep 16, 2006
  6. dejola

    dejola Guest

    Three partitions is what a friend suggested. One for the OS (Windows
    XP), one for other applications, and the third for data. He said this
    is a good idea because if you ever want to reinstall the OS its easier,
    and it makes backups simpler.

    dejola, Sep 16, 2006
  7. dejola

    roach Guest

    roach

    roach, Sep 16, 2006
  8. dejola

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    A simple image of Win9x from old to new HD works fine but with XP,
    there could be problems with SID. I personally have experienced this
    (though some say they didn't) and had to SYSPREP the source drive
    first or WinXP on the new HD simply would not start.

    Alternatively look up Acronis disc migration tool demo - supposed to
    be a no-brainer.

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Sep 16, 2006
  9. dejola

    Ben Myers Guest

    Ben Myers, Sep 16, 2006
  10. dejola

    GHalleck Guest

    That is not bad advice but the reasoning is slightly off.
    Partitioning in this way makes it easier to do backups
    since the partition that contains the data will be backed
    up the most often. It is faster and simpler just to back
    up the data instead of the entire drive.

    GHalleck, Sep 16, 2006
  11. dejola

    Flyer Guest

    There's no real advantage to having your apps on a seperate partition, since
    if you have to re-instsall the OS, for whatever reason, you'd probably have
    to re-install the apps too ;-) I have a 20gig partition for XP & Apps, the
    rest is for data.

    P.

    Flyer, Sep 16, 2006
  12. dejola

    dejola Guest

    Yielding to Brian H's recommendation I brought my computer on over to
    Best Buy where I bought the new hard drive. I said that one of my new
    found Internet friends, Brian H. urged me to have "someone who knows
    what they're doing" install the hard drive. So the "Geek Squad" guys
    says, well, we certainly know what we're doing. I leave the machine
    there, stressing that I do not want my data endangered. I don't have a
    recent backup. No problem, your data will remain intact.Boy am I sorry.
    I waited for a phone call that never came. Finally I went back to the
    store and saw my computer on a table all taken apart. I inquire and am
    told it isn't finished yet, someone called in sick. I'm unhappy, but I
    say, okay, I'll be back later this evening.

    When I return 3 or 4 hours later I see that my machine is still all
    apart, I inquire. I am told that unfortunately they ran into a problem.
    The new drive won't install. Further, they can't boot the computer.
    That's funny, I say, because I was using it a half hour before I
    brought it in. I have become quite distressed. It sounds to me that my
    data is in danger. I wonder why all of a sudden my computer won't boot
    up. They say there is a noise coming from one iof the two hard drives
    that I had in the machine, but they think its the small one that I
    don't use. I have my fingers crossed. I leave with their assurance that
    they will continue to try and figure out what's wrong and call me when
    they're finished. I'm not optimistic.

    dejola, Sep 17, 2006
  13. dejola

    Pennywise Guest

    You don't take a computer to Geek Squad, you doing so isn't Brian's
    fault. He said someone who knows what they're doing.

    No joke, if it's not damaged, or data lost when/if you get it back,
    consider yourself lucky. One of many links
    http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/06/28/0034257

    Pennywise, Sep 18, 2006
  14. dejola

    dejola Guest

    Thanks. Point well taken.

    dejola, Sep 18, 2006
  15. dejola

    Barry OGrady Guest

    One partition is all you need and no top posting.

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

    Barry OGrady, Sep 20, 2006
  16. dejola

    Gordon Guest

    Two is probably a good idea - the second for user data, then if you need to
    re-install the OS then your data is safe(ish). Doesn't negate the need for
    backups tho'......

    Gordon, Sep 20, 2006
  17. dejola

    ProfGene Guest

    It should take about a half hour to install and activate a hard drive at
    the most. They must be the Weak squad, weak in the mind that is.

    ProfGene, Nov 2, 2006