HOW DO I GET BIG BIG ENLARGEMENT OF PIX?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ART SANTELLA, Aug 29, 2003.

  1. ART SANTELLA

    ART SANTELLA Guest

    I am using a Canon G2 which I guess is about 3 mp. I want to take a picture of a
    shipyard and want to get some info.

    1) How would you take this picture in what mode like RAW or whatever to get the
    maximum clarity ?

    2) I want to be able to have this picture enlarged to about 24X40 inches and
    still be sharp ?

    4) Is this possible, and if it is does anyone have any suggestions who could enlarge
    the original 8X10 into something this large ?

    Thanks

    AS

    Thanks,

    Arty

    ART SANTELLA, Aug 29, 2003

  2. ART SANTELLA

    Kenwood Guest

    Figure 225 DPI as the absolute minimum acceptable quality for a print this
    size.

    225 x 24 x 225 x 40 = 48mega pixels. Even a 6MP image will have to be
    resampled
    to this size. It can be done. Genuine Fractals is one of many programs that
    can do it.

    Also remember that 8x10 and a 24x40 have different aspect ratios, there will
    be cropping involved.

    Your best bet is to start with a higher quality image before you begin to
    resample and upsize.

    Kenwood, Aug 29, 2003

  3. ART SANTELLA

    wes Guest

    Take you image at the highest quality possible. Check out Jumbogiant. They
    did a great job of a 24X40 inch picture for me. But, I took the original
    with a 6 MP camera. If you are interested, here is the URL:
    http://www.jumbogiant.com/ I am sure there are many other internet sites
    that have offers like this one. I would definitely use them again. And, as
    someone else has said, there will probably be some cropping made. They will
    let you know by E-mail before they do anything.

    wes, Aug 29, 2003
  4. ART SANTELLA

    Arthur Small Guest

    Arthur Small, Aug 29, 2003
  5. ART SANTELLA

    Matti Vuori Guest

    You will get some info, but you will not get the best info before you learn
    to release the CAPS LOCK before typing the SUBJECT OF YOUR POST!.

    Matti Vuori, Aug 30, 2003
  6. ART SANTELLA

    MarkH Guest

    You need to get it printed and decide for yourself whether it is sharp
    enough or not. If you think you can print that size and then look very
    closely at it and think it’s sharp, then try it. I think that you really
    wouldn’t want to look at that picture any closer than a comfortable viewing
    distance for a picture that size.

    Without knowing your definition of sharp, I cannot give an accurate answer.
    But my opinion is that it wouldn’t be what I would call sharp, even with my
    6MPix Canon 10D. Whether it would be acceptable or not would depend mainly
    on viewing distance.

    MarkH, Aug 30, 2003
  7. ART SANTELLA

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On 9 Sep 2003 21:26:17 -0700, in rec.photo.digital
    360 Image Assembler is just Panavue Image Assembler resold under
    license. Why not go directly to the source at http://www.panavue.com ?
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://members.cox.net/egruf
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam

    Ed Ruf, Sep 10, 2003
  8. ART SANTELLA

    stan Guest

    To enlarge any digital image up to 1600%, check out pxl SmartScale
    by Extensis. The down side is you need Photoshop since SmartScale is
    a Photoshop plug-in, but it works amazingly well. I am able to print
    some of the photos from my old 1 megapixel camera at near 8"x10" with
    this plug-in and they look as clear and crisp as the original photos
    do when I print them at 300 DPI.

    stan, Sep 12, 2003