How do I get a grip on network traffic with the Cisco 2900XL ?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Jayse, Jan 28, 2004.

  1. Jayse

    Jayse Guest

    Hi all,

    This is my first post in this group and im relatively a newb in this
    zone. I have recently inherited a 2900XL which I eagerly used to
    replace my old DLink.

    On to my problem... I run a a gaming LAN at my place every week, and
    those litle sods just keep copying from each other and ruining the
    gameplay.

    Can I configure the switch so that all netbios and ftp has to go to a
    specific machine (ie the file server) and stop the peer2peer bandwidth
    hijacking?

    I surely hope so

    TIA
    Jayse

    Jayse, Jan 28, 2004

  2. Jayse

    Hansang Bae Guest

    No. The best you can do is to isolate the non players into a different
    VLAN. If you do this, the non-players and the players will not be able
    to communicate with each other (not w/o a router anyway).

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Jan 28, 2004

  3. Jayse

    chris Guest

    Try searching on Cisco for protected ports. In a nut-shell protected
    ports can't talked to each other, but the can access the rest of the
    network just fine. Hotel rooms are a good example.

    -Chris

    chris, Jan 29, 2004
  4. Jayse

    Hansang Bae Guest

    The 2900XLs have this functionality? I thought just the newer ones did.

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Jan 29, 2004
  5. Jayse

    Jayse Guest

    Thanks Chris, I went to Cisco before I posted this msg, and my 2900Xl
    does support this feature (in the manual) but the Cisco site kinda
    depends on a sound network theory which I dont possess (being an
    embedded C++ guy)

    Do you know of any quick setup, help, manual, instruction book, notes
    on a matchbox that would get me started without the theory?

    thanks again
    Jayse

    Jayse, Jan 29, 2004
  6. Jayse