    how do I disable the other and stop both coming up in my system tray.

    Sorry if question is simplistic but I am not very technical.

    Thanks

    Monty, Aug 23, 2003

  2. Monty

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Aug 23, 2003

  3. Monty

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as Monty continued:
    Don't start a new thread.

    slumpy, Aug 23, 2003
  4. Monty

    Boomer Guest

    Ionizer said:
    Not quite correct.

    My last 3 were on the 14th, 18th and 19th of this month.

    Boomer, Aug 23, 2003
  5. Monty

    Ionizer Guest

    Hi, Mike:

    I just ditched McAfee in favour of Norton, but I find it difficult to agree
    with your "analysis" of the McAfee product. According to the reviews I've
    read over the last few years, Norton and McAfee are generally fighting for
    top honours- with Norton generally emerging as number one. AVG never makes
    it on to any of these lists in the first place, which is all well and good
    because it's freeware and so what-the-heck, you get what you pay for, etc.
    But the fact that McAfee (and all the commercial AV programs, I think)
    update their definition files more frequently than does AVG surely must make
    McAfee the preferred choice in Monty's decision.

    And just for fun, because this doesn't really bolster my argument, have a
    look at these stunning Google Fight results: http://tinyurl.com/kz0p

    Regards,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Aug 23, 2003
  6. Monty

    °Mike° Guest

    The reviews you've read over the years, are flawed and probably
    biased in many cases. I have used McAfee in the past, and I can
    attest that, compared to many other products, it sucks; not to
    mention that (like Norton) it is bloatware.

    The Virus Bulletin awards tell a different story.
    Twelve (12) passes, sixteen (16) failures.
    http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?nai.xml
    That's because of all the people complaining about McAfee. :)

    °Mike°, Aug 23, 2003
  7. Monty

    Ionizer Guest

    Hi, Mike:

    Thanks for the link- I've just put it into my favourites. The "Virus
    Bulletin" isn't particularly praising McAfee at all, are they? I was
    (somewhat) reassured by their evaluation of my Norton antivirus decision: 21
    passes/16 fails, but even those results aren't spectacular by any means. I
    suppose that's ultimately where common sense enters into the equation: the
    usual advice about not mindlessly opening email attachments, double-clicking
    on exe files at will, etc.

    That said, and going back to the original poster's decision, the AVG
    antivirus fares even worse than McAfee on your Virus Bulletin site- only 2
    passes, but 19 fails:
    http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?avg.xml

    Regards,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Aug 23, 2003
  8. Monty

    °Mike° Guest

    They don't praise anybody. They tell it as it is.
    One has to remember that NO antivirus solution will detect ALL viruses.
    That's why more than one AV program should be installed.
    You'll get no arguments from me, there. I've always said that AVG
    is average, at best. The only reason that I ever recommend it, is
    because of the price.

    °Mike°, Aug 23, 2003