How do I crop/trim a widescreen mpg into a 4:3 mpg ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by English Patient, Nov 22, 2005.

  1. I have recorded a TV program using my AVerMdeia Hybird TV Card,
    from digital TV

    The program was broadcast in widescreen, and the resultant mpg file is
    thus also widescreen

    My monitor is (normal) 4:3,

    and the TV prog didn't really use the widescreen

    ie. I'm not getting anything important on the LHS and RHS of the screen

    Is their any video editing package you know of which will let me trim the
    LH and RH sides of a widescreen mpg so turning it into a 4:3 mpg file.

    When I watch the original mpg on my monitor I get black bars at the top
    of the screen,
    I want to trim the sides, which will in effect remove these black bars.

    Any ideas.

    EP.

    ps. I'm also googling, but maybe someone knows the answer already.

    English Patient, Nov 22, 2005

  2. English Patient

    Bill P Guest

    Can't you just change the aspect ratio in the program you are using to view
    the recording ?
    Regards
    Bill

    Bill P, Nov 22, 2005

  3. Nope :(

    English Patient, Nov 22, 2005
  4. English Patient

    fred-bloggs Guest

    VLC is a video player which has a crop video filter which will do what
    you require on playback, you need to enter the dimensions you require.
    http://www.videolan.org/vlc

    fred-bloggs, Nov 22, 2005
  5. English Patient

    John Inzer Guest