How do I correctly delete extra Language Packs?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Realitygdk, May 14, 2008.

  1. Realitygdk

    Realitygdk Guest

    Windows Vista Ultimate 64 –bit computer system.

    My primary language is English.

    I have 34 Language Packs, extra-optional, updates, dated April 22,
    2008, waiting my okay to install.

    My immediate question, what are the correct procedures for selecting
    and deleting these additional language packs?

    During April when I selected these additional Windows Vista Language
    Packs, I was thinking that my system would need them when and if I
    were to visit a foreign language site. I suppose the logic was
    something on the order, that while on a foreign language page the
    system would translate the page into English using one or more of
    these language packs. Okay, I like to dream and I hold great
    expectation as to how my computer is to assist me. I have since
    gathered from the knowledgeable people on this board that unless I
    have a need to re-map my English keyboard, I do not needed to maintain
    any other language keyboard packs on my system.

    If I hid the optional extra updates, do I regain the disk space that
    these Language Packs currently are holding?
    Thank you for sharing your time and your professional computer
    experiences to assist me in resolving this personal matter,

    G. Kennedy

    Realitygdk, May 14, 2008

  2. Realitygdk

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    This KB from Microsoft:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925471
    covers in detail the installation and uninstallation process.
    You will be interested in reading the paragraph "How to remove a language
    pack" which I quote:

    "1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    2. In Control Panel, click Clock, Language, and Region, click Regional and
    Language Options, and then click Change display language.
    3. On the Keyboard and Languages tab, click Install/uninstall languages
    under Display language. If you are prompted for an administrator password or
    for confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
    4. In Choose to install or remove languages, click Remove languages.
    5. Under Select the languages that you want to remove, select the language
    that you want to remove, and then click Next.
    6. Click the language that you want to remove, and then click Remove."

    Carlos

    Carlos, May 14, 2008

  3. Realitygdk

    Realitygdk Guest

    Carlos…Outstanding!…thank you for both the quick response and accurate
    information…Pure genius…

    -G. Kennedy

    Realitygdk, May 14, 2008
  4. Realitygdk

    Carlos Guest

    You are welcome, "G"!
    Your description of your issue was very comprehensive and that led quickly
    to a solution.
    :)
    Carlos
    (South 53 degrees 47.3 minutes, West 67 degrees 43.2 minutes)

    Carlos, May 14, 2008