How do I copy music tracks off a CD and attach to an email in WinXP?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Jamie Kahn Genet, Sep 23, 2004.

  1. How do you grab music (AIFF or MP3's) off a music CD-R in WinXP _just_
    within WinXP itself? Is it even possible? I'm trying to email a couple
    tracks to a person and
    when I drag the tracks from the open CD's window to a MSOE new message
    to attach them all I end up attaching are a couple little 1k files.
    Same thing if I right-click, drag and select copy. Still little 1k
    files (shortcuts I guess - ?) :-(

    So do you need to import the music into Windows Media Player, then
    attach the files stored on the HD? If so, can you please tell me
    exactly where that folder is (I need to relay this info via email to
    the newbie) or whether the track names in WMP exactly match those in
    the folder where they are saved (in which case I suppose I can just
    direct them to search for the file's names).

    It's a CD-R of MP3's, if that's any help.

    Help! I am asking on behalf of a newbie PC user (I am a Mac guy - so
    not much help in this case).

    Regards,
    Jamie Kahn Genet

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Sep 23, 2004

  2. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Herb Garden Guest

    If the mp3s show up in explorer, select then right click and choose copy,
    select a location, right click and paste.
    Multiple select by using shift or control click modifiers or drag the
    selection

    Herb Garden, Sep 23, 2004

  3. Jamie Kahn Genet

    Rosemary rm Guest

    I think you should pack them up in a Zip (Compressed file) type file first, I
    can remember the Mac version of this, even though I have used it.

    It protects them from Internet Damage and can make them smaller.

    Rosemary rm, Sep 23, 2004
  4. Jamie Kahn Genet

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Just hit the attach icon in OE and navigate to the file and attach it. Make
    sure the CD stays in the drive until the emails gone. If it doesn't like
    that copy it to the HDD first.

    ~misfit~, Sep 23, 2004
  5. It does neither. MP3s are already very highly compressed, and the only
    "protection" from "Internet Damage" you'll receive is a CRC check that tells
    you if the file has been damaged.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Sep 24, 2004
  6. An average track encoded as MP3 takes about 4MB. Are you sure that both of
    your mail providers can handle files this large?

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Sep 24, 2004
  7. Jamie Kahn Genet

    E. Scrooge Guest

    Copy them to your HD for your email to quickly feed off. Converting them to
    smaller WMA files is even better for emails. The options within Movie Maker
    can do that easy enough.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Sep 24, 2004