How do I connect wireless to wired home network?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by at, Sep 23, 2004.

  1. at

    at Guest

    I have 4 computers on home network wired to a D-Link 4-port router. I
    bought a D-Link wireless router which I want to connect to the wired
    network so that I can use a laptop around the house. I have assigned
    192.168.0.1 to one computer on my home network which is the gateway
    computer for a dialup Internet connection (I use ICS as well, and yes it
    is slow when a couple of people are surfing). All other computers have
    various IP addresses.

    The wireless router and the wireless card are "b" format.

    The wireless router is likely a default IP of 192.168.0.1, so I would
    have to change it to something different than the other computers on the
    network, I think. Can I use the wireless router as an access point?
    Otherwise how do I set up my network?

    BTW, I know pretty much squat about this stuff so please make it simple.

    Ron

    at, Sep 23, 2004

  2. at

    Papa Guest

    You will not need both routers. Replace the wired router with the wireless
    one, assuming that it includes wired ports as well as antennas.

    Papa, Sep 23, 2004

  3. at

    at Guest

    Well, I want to. That was the point of the post.

    Ron

    at, Sep 23, 2004
  4. at

    Papa Guest

    OK, then remove the old router, connect up the new router, and run the
    install program that should have been supplied with your new router. It's a
    piece of cake.

    Papa, Sep 24, 2004
  5. at

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    That is the way to do it: Wireless Router as an AP:
    http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    What might be the Adavdage?
    You can put the Wireless Router in a better location for good Wireless
    Distance.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Sep 27, 2004
  6. at

    at Guest

    Thanks

    at, Sep 27, 2004
  7. at

    Guest Guest

    I have the same problem -- 4 computers on a LAN using a wireless Linksys G
    Broadband router.
    I can access the Internet through the router, but I can't see the Workgroup
    at all. Just a blank screen.
    The computers on the LAN can see the laptop's icon but can not access it
    (even though I've shared the whole C drive).
    I figure the router must be ok cause I can get though to the Net, so it must
    be something that in my setup on the laptop.
    When I setup the router I named the group "office", whereas the Workgroup is
    "horizon". I tried making it the same name, but that didn't work. (One was
    capitalized and one was little letters)
    Surely there is a way to access both the Internet and the Workgroup.

    Any suggestions?

    Guest, Sep 29, 2004
  8. On the assumption you have set each machine up using the 'Wizard' and
    enabled 'file and printer sharing' the likely problem is your firewall
    settings. To confirm this disable the firewall on each machine and then see
    if you can see the machines.

    "Can't get both LAN and Internet" <Can't get both LAN and

    Edward W. Thompson, Sep 29, 2004
  9. at

    Papa Guest

    All work group names for every computer in the LAN must be EXACTLY the same.

    Papa, Sep 30, 2004