    the call to 'customer service" which never answers and is only
    open 9 to 6 Pacific time. (Not even clear if it is US Pacific time
    or some other country).

    Pat Farrell, Jun 27, 2006

  2. Pat Farrell

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <> Pat Farrell
    You have to phone -- Although if you fax the request, with a signature,
    then perform a charge back if they attempt to charge your credit card
    again, they'll eventually terminate you for non-payment.

    DevilsPGD, Jun 27, 2006

  3. Can't you just tell your credit card company to deny the charge?

    William P.N. Smith, Jun 27, 2006
  4. I think you have to change your name, move, leave all your friends behind
    and live in fear that someday they *will* find you. Much like what happens
    when you subscribe just once to the LA Times... they keep at you, relentless
    lot they are, until you renew. Or die. And even the latter won't guarantee
    that crypt delivery won't continue...

    Henry Cabot Henhouse III, Jun 27, 2006
  5. Pat Farrell

    Jim Holcomb Guest

    Good luck with this. I switched to TWC's Digital Phone from Vonage
    in early February and I'm still getting billed from them. Time Warner
    reimburses me every time but it's getting a little old.

    Jim

    Jim Holcomb, Jun 28, 2006
  6. Pat Farrell

    Joe Chisolm Guest

    Send a note to Vonage and copy the SEC. Maybe that will get their
    attention since they are probably booking revenue improperly and
    overstating subscriber counts.

    Joe Chisolm, Jun 28, 2006
  7. I would do the following:

    1. Send certified, return-receipt letter stating cancellation;
    2. Send copy of said letter to State Attorney general and state Commerce
    Commission and Consumer protection office with details of atttempts to
    cancel;
    3. Take copies of all of the above to my bank (or credit card comnpany)
    with demand to deny any/all charges from said company;

    If your bank pays any demand notice from them, go after your bank. Your
    credit card company should be more responsive - just request a chargeback
    as well.

    I haven't tried to cancel Vonage, but I did have to deal with another slime
    company who refused to stop billing me despite 3 clear statements to cancel.

    -Stephen

    Stephen Adams, Jun 28, 2006
  8. Pat Farrell

    Bob M Guest

    Vonage has fast become a company with very poor customer service.
    Probably because they outsource to India. Anyway here is the phone
    number to the executive help team for Vonage. Hopefully they can help
    you cancel. I'll be canceling very soon myself. I will also be canceling
    my credit card because I have read of numerous people having fraudulent
    charges placed on their cards after trying to cancel Vonage.
    1-888-580-4020. Good luck

    Bob

    Bob M, Jun 28, 2006
  9. Pat Farrell

    Rick Merrill Guest

    All of the above are just dandy, but with the new rules about who is
    authorized to make changes in your account, they cannot accept certified
    mail to do it!

    Best way I have found is to call your new phone company, have them
    initiate a conference call to the old one and get it all fixed up.
    But even that backfired in my case!

    Rick Merrill, Jun 28, 2006
  10. Except that I now have proof that I did try to cancel (documented in
    the letter), proof that they KNOW I want to cancel and thus they are
    committing fraud when they try to charge me.

    The point of the letter is to setup the legal case, and to give the
    State Attorney General, the State Commerce Comission and the State
    Consumer Protection Office the proof they need that you made every
    good faith effort to cancel.

    And the you simply stop paying them. They can come after you all you
    want, and you can prove to any legal authority and any credit bureau
    that you canceled. If they report you to TRW, Trans Union or one of
    the other Credit Reporting Agencies because they billed you after they
    cancel, you can nail them under Federal Law, no matter what their
    supposed contract with you says about disputes.
    If it were me, I'd switch the billing to a credit card if it wasn't
    already there, wait one billing cycle, then report the card lost.
    The credit card company will reject any future charges on that card
    number/expiration date combo.

    And I'd do the above stuff, too. Let them try to come after me. They
    won't get anywhere, and if they try, they'll be in violation of several
    Federal laws...

    -Stephen

    Stephen Adams, Jun 29, 2006
  11. Pat Farrell

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Absolutely! That'll give you standing for back credit. Often the
    1stline phone people can only give you a partial month credit.

    Nice in theory, but if they ding your credit report that is much more
    RED TAPE than you want to deal with I betcha. Don't let it go there.

    That'll work, if you have cards to burn ;-)

    Rick Merrill, Jun 29, 2006
  12. Pat Farrell

    lloyd Guest

    Bob M wrote:

    After you have cancelled, please look at http://mayescem.ld.net for
    better choices than VONAGE. Packet8, there, is one of the better
    providers.

    Thanks for the post about Vonage.

    Lloyd Colston
    Pryor, OK

    lloyd, Jun 29, 2006
  13. Pat Farrell

    kc5fm Guest

    Vonage 888-250-1799 Direct to human.

    Source http://www.gethuman.com

    kc5fm, Jun 29, 2006
  14. Many cards will allow you to generate one-time use numbers for
    potentially dodgy transactions. [Getting refunds to those numbers is
    a bit more work, but that's a rathole.]

    William P.N. Smith, Jun 29, 2006
  15. Thanks for the tip about gethuman.com. It will come in handy.

    BrianEWilliams, Jun 29, 2006
  16. Pat Farrell

    Bob M Guest

    Thanks for the info. However Vonage has really turned me off to VOIP.
    I don't think I'll be signing up for it again.

    Bob

    Bob M, Jun 29, 2006
  17. Pat Farrell

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Why..? Would you let a bad experience in a Ford put you off buying a VW..?
    There are plenty of good providers out there that aren't as rubbish as
    Vonage.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jun 30, 2006
  18. Pat Farrell

    B. Wright Guest

    They're all too busy trying to keep their stock price from
    falling any lower to speak to you. :)

    B. Wright, Jun 30, 2006
  19. Pat Farrell

    2irritated

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Direct # to cancel a Vonage account

    The direct # to the vonage account management dept is: 888-288-7435. I just found this # today and called it to cancel my account. A feat I have been unable to accomplish in the past three weeks using the #'s Vonage insists that you call. I don't know how this # got out, but I found it in a blog when I became desperate to find a way to cancel my account. I have spent three weeks, several hour long phone calls and at least 7 emails trying to cancel my account. This # was the solution. It goes directly to a live person with no automated voice prompts, etc. The rep does go through the mandatory sales pitch that I'm sure you've already heard and sales tactics to try to prevent canceling. However, be firm and persistent and insist that they will cancel your account or you will take legal action. I also recommend disputing any charges to your credit card (anything they have charged against your wishes), and change your credit card account # on file with them (I believe you can do this through the online login) and if this doesn't work, consider filing a complaint with the FCC. I'm sure you have already resolved your problem as this is an old post, but hopefully someone else reading may be helped by finding this valuable direct #. Good luck! Also, I suspect Vonage will change this direct # frequently so customers can't use it. So, call quick before they figure out that the #'s out and change it!!

    2irritated, Dec 18, 2007