    Lookout Guest

    It's a lyric site that always pops up first and I don't want that site
    ever.

    Lookout, Jan 6, 2007

  2. Lookout

    Evan Platt Guest

    Well, first and best option is to use a browser that allows you to
    tell it what pop ups to allow.

    Firefox for one.

    You could ATTEMPT to block the site using your hosts file, but you
    will likely not be successful.

    Evan Platt, Jan 6, 2007

  3. Lookout

    Senti Guest

    When you say "pops up first" it makes me think that you're saying that
    every time you open IE 7, this is the first page you see. If that's
    correct, then it may just be set as a homepage.

    To check this, do the following:

    In IE7, look at your toolbars for a little icon that looks like a house
    with a small triangle beside it.

    When you click on the triangle, a list will open up. Does the name of
    the lyrics site show up in the list? If not, then the problem lies
    elsewhere.

    If it does, then click the word Remove at the bottom of the list. A new
    list will open to one side and it should show the name of the lyrics
    site. Click that name and a message box will open asking if you're sure
    you want to remove it. Click the Yes button.

    Quit out of IE 7 and then open it again and the lyrics site should be
    gone. If it comes back, then your browser has probably been hijacked.

    Senti, Jan 6, 2007
  4. Lookout

    Lookout Guest

    Let me correct that..when I search on Google that site is always the
    1st one listed. It's useless because the content sucks. I simply don't
    want that site to be listed. At one time you could block a site by the
    addy but it was a quite a while ago.

    Thanks

    Lookout, Jan 6, 2007
  5. Lookout

    Evan Platt Guest

    You can't block a site from being listed in google. You can try and
    block the site using a hosts file, but that won't accomplish what you
    want to accomplish.

    Evan Platt, Jan 6, 2007
  6. Lookout

    Senti Guest

    Well that makes a much better first post, than your original post. :)

    And the answer is that you can't block a specific site from being listed
    in the Google search results. You can block the site so you can't visit
    it, but that won't affect whether or not it's listed on Google.

    Senti, Jan 6, 2007
  7. Lookout

    Pennywise Guest

    To add,
    I run a HOSTS file http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/hosts
    On a Google search I can't access anything in blue at the top, and
    very few sites listed on the right side; everything else, no problem
    linking to them.

    Pennywise, Jan 6, 2007
  8. Probably much less work and certainly more comprehensive would be the
    FF extension that eliminates those sections completely and is intensely
    configurable for all kinds of Google taming. :)

    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/743/

    Install; be amazed at the Options dialog. :)

    One size fits all.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 6, 2007
  9. Lookout

    Lookout Guest

    Thanks to all who answered. It's just maddening as hell to see a
    useless site listed.

    Lookout, Jan 6, 2007
  10. Lookout

    Senti Guest

    Since you seem familiar with it, might that (or another extension,
    GreaseMonkey, perhaps?) allow the OP to add/write a script that would
    allow him to hide specific information on the Google search results page?

    Senti, Jan 6, 2007
  11. Lookout

    Top Guest

    Do you use FingerFox?

    Top

    Top, Jan 6, 2007
  12. As far as I know, no, it's not Proxomitron. But I've never looked into
    scripting, so I can't say for sure. I've never used GreaseMonkey.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 7, 2007
  13. Never heard of it.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 7, 2007