How do I allow internet access but not network access over a route

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Andrew_White, Dec 10, 2009.

  1. Andrew_White

    Andrew_White Guest

    I have 3 machines networked - XP, Vista and Win 7. XP and Vista are cabled to
    the router, Win 7 is Wifi.

    I need that visitors with laptops can access the internet by wifi, yet not
    automatically access the network. Win 7 integrated itself into the network
    with impressive but scary ease, and didn't as far as I recall ask for a
    password beyond the wifi password.

    Actually I'd like that visitors could share the printer over the network,
    but not access any of the other shared resources. However I would settle that
    they simply could not access the network at all.

    I guess this must be easy but I can't see how to do it!

    All thoughts welcomed!

    Regards

    Andrew

    Andrew_White, Dec 10, 2009

  2. Hi
    There are few kind of shares. Some are publicly opened, others can be
    privately controlled.
    In Win 7 use the Work Network options to set private shares that can be
    accessed only by allowed users.
    The key words are , Share with "Specific People",
    http://www.ezlan.net/Win7/share-specific.jpg
    Or get a second Router and build a segregated Network.
    Like this, http://www.ezlan.net/shield.html
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Dec 10, 2009

  3. It is easy if you have the right hardware.... not so easy if you don't. I
    use sonicwalls which have integrated wireless I can set up on a totally
    separate subnet for guest use. Your perimeter router/firewall might have a
    DMZ port you can use to connect another cheap 'n cheerful WAP (use WPA2,
    please!).

    If you're going to let them use your network printer you have to let them on
    your network. I don't like to do that. I'd prefer not to defend at the
    computer/share level which is no guarantee of success. What about getting a
    USB cable for them to use to connect directly to your printer? I'm assuming
    you do have a network printer and that connecting locally to it will not
    disable the network function.

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Dec 10, 2009