    There is no "Users and Passwords" icon in Control-Panel, and I can't
    find any other way to add or manipulate user accounts!

    Help!

    Tim, Jul 24, 2004

  2. Tim

    Brian Guest

    try using active directory.. sheesh.. if you couldn't even find that out..
    get your hands off the keyboard.. NOW:

    Brian, Jul 24, 2004

  3. Tim

    atec Guest

    ..settings/controlpanel/users+passwords
    now do you really want to touch that machine ?
    I hope you can find your own arse .

    atec, Jul 24, 2004
  4. Tim

    Tim Guest

    Thanks Brian. Tried googling for Active Directory. Loads of nice
    documents telling me what it is and how wonderful it is, then a whole
    bunch of scripts for automatically adding users, but NOTHING tells me
    how to manually add a user via the standard Windows interface!

    Can this even be done on an isolated Win2k Server box?

    Tim, Jul 24, 2004
  5. Tim

    Tim Guest

    Please re-read the original post -

    "THERE IS NO "USERS AND PASSWORDS" ICON IN CONTROL PANEL".

    Thanks.

    Tim, Jul 24, 2004
  6. Tim

    atec Guest

    ok , so what did you screw up ?.

    atec, Jul 24, 2004
  7. Tim

    Brian Guest

    first you need AD installed..see:
    http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_install_active_directory_on_w2k.htm
    adding users to AD
    http://www.visualwin.com/New-User-AD/

    Brian, Jul 24, 2004
  8. Tim

    Tim Guest

    Does that mean I do not have to install it? I would prefer not to
    install it if it is not completely necessary - all I want is an
    additional user that isn't an administrator.

    Many thanks for your help - it's much appreciated.

    Tim, Jul 24, 2004
  9. Tim

    Tim Guest

    Well, googling shows that several other people have W2k Server
    installations without this icon, but no solutions. So exactly what I
    screwed up I have no idea - all I did was a completely default
    installation - I didn't change any of the default options during
    installation.

    Any ideas?

    Tim, Jul 24, 2004
  10. Tim

    atec Guest

    well it should have the icon , one would normally just do a cd repair
    option on a reboot ,

    atec, Jul 24, 2004
  11. Tim

    atec Guest

    Well have you tried rebooting into a repair option off the cd ?.
    I used to use 2k for a lot more but now only have this machine ,
    everything else is nix . So I have to admit Im not as close to the coal
    face these days .

    atec, Jul 24, 2004
  12. Tim

    atec Guest

    or you could do run/cmd
    then set and or help . Ive forgotten how but you should be able to add
    a use in dos .

    atec, Jul 24, 2004
  13. Tim

    Brian Guest

    oh and one more thing.. if you are talking about local accounts:
    http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/windows/win2k/win2kaccounts.html

    Brian, Jul 24, 2004
  14. Tim

    Tim Guest

    And we have a winner!

    1000 Thanks Brian! You've made my day :)

    Now I'll have to crawl under a rock to hide my embarrasment at not
    being able to find that myself :-(

    Tim, Jul 24, 2004
  15. Tim

    Brian Guest

    ur welcome..

    Brian, Jul 24, 2004
  16. Tim

    jj Guest

    atec has brought this to us :
    No I'm sorry read the manual :-[

    jj, Jul 24, 2004
  17. Tim

    Linda Guest

    I hope you're not a sys admin with a company waiting for you to resolve
    their network problems.

    Linda, Jul 24, 2004
  18. Tim

    Jim Berwick Guest

    I spoke with the head of IT from a company who needed help finding his
    domains MX records. I mean, seriously:

    nslookup
    set type=mx
    domain.com

    The guy probably makes $100,000 a year more than me, and he needs help
    finding domain records.

    Jim Berwick, Jul 25, 2004
  19. Tim

    Tim Guest

    I'm not, and I never said I was. What is your point exactly???

    Tim, Jul 25, 2004
  20. Tim

    Jim Berwick Guest

    Not to start anything, but I think his point is if you can't find the place
    to add a user, you shouldn't even be touching the server.

    Jim Berwick, Jul 25, 2004