How do 19" CRT monitors compare to 19" LCD?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Master No Wei, Apr 30, 2006.

  1. How would you compare a 19" CRT monitor to a 19" LCD one? Which is
    sharper and has higher resolution, or are they about the same?

    Master No Wei, Apr 30, 2006

  2. Differences: about 60 pounds (27 kg) and $500 USD (400 euros) and a
    Expensive ones? Maybe the CRT.
    Medium price? Maybe the LCD.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 30, 2006

  3. Master No Wei

    Jimchip Guest

    A 19" CRT monitor is a lot heavier!

    You really have to compare specific models of each. There are high and low
    quality versions to be had in both types. Specifications can tell you some
    things but not all. There's nothing like going to a store that has a range
    of both and doing side by side comparisons.

    For example, "Sharper" can mean lots of things if you're being informal,
    including how well the monitor renders black..

    Jimchip, Apr 30, 2006
  4. Master No Wei

    Jerry G. Guest

    The 19 inch LCD would be about equivalent to a 20 inch CRT. The LCD
    monitor would be about 50 to 60 lbs lighter. There are many advantages
    of using LCD monitors, especially the amount of space that it takes up
    on the desk. LCD monitors give off much less heat and radiation in to
    the environment.

    As the LCD monitor ages, there is no degradation of its accuracy for
    colour balance, as like with CRT monitors. There are no visible errors
    from misconvergence, purity errors, focus errors, linearity errors, and
    pin errors. LCD monitors cannot have burn in as like CRT and Plasma
    displays. LCD monitors can however, have pixel sticking problems if
    something is left up on it for many hundreds of hours. Unlike the other
    technology displays, the LCD monitor pixel sticking problem can be
    reversed.

    LCD monitors do not radiate any ultraviolet radiation, have very little
    electromagnetic radiation, and have no X-Ray radiation. LCD monitors do
    not have any flicker that can give eyestrain after many hours of use.
    LCD monitors can be viewed in a lit environment, while CRT monitors are
    best viewed in a darkened environment. LCD monitors are about 60 to 80%
    more efficient for power consumption. A typical LCD monitor can consume
    about 45 to 55 Watts of power, while the equivalent CRT monitor will
    typically use about 150 to 180 Watts of power. In business
    establishments, it has been found that users of LCD monitors are
    requesting less sick leave, due to headaches or fatigue. There is much
    less danger from electromagnetic radiation from LCD monitors for
    pregnant women, as suspected from CRT monitors.

    The only thing that may annoy some users of LCD monitors, is that there
    is the chance for bad pixels. Some people have a low tolerance for bad
    pixels. Each manufacture has their policy for bad pixel error acceptance
    for warranty exchange. LCD screens must not be touched with any
    pressure, because they can be easily damaged. Putting your fingers, or
    pens on the screen for pointing will most likely cause permanent damage.
    When cleaning the LCD monitor screen surface, it must be done very
    carefully. LCD monitors must be run in their native mode for best
    picture quality. LCD monitors are generally slower responding than CRT
    monitors, but have been improved more and more every year. When the LCD
    monitor is viewed in a darkened room, the definition of the black
    details may not be as good as the CRT type. The greater the cost of the
    monitor, the better the contrast ratio and performance. LCD monitors
    have a lower contrast ratio than the CRT or Plasma types, but they are
    being improved as the manufactures find ways to do so. There is a
    compromise between contrast ration and speed.

    --

    Jerry G.

    Jerry G., Apr 30, 2006
  5. Personal experience: The 19" LCD monitors I've looked at all seem to be
    1280x1024 max. I do that with my 17" CRT. If I moved to a larger (in
    inches) monitor it would be so I could get higher than 1280x1024. I'm not
    looking for a bigger representation of the same stuff; I'm looking for a
    larger screen to get more stuff *in*. So the 19" LCDs don't float my
    boat even though their prices are getting pretty decent.

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 30, 2006
  6. Master No Wei

    Peaches Guest

    Your graphics card plays the important role, and if equipped with
    a DVI output, you'll be at least "future-proofed" if you opt for a
    monitor with a DVI input, which invariably will be LCD.
    http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/Monitor.htm

    http://www.a1-electronics.net/PcHardware/GenCompInfo/2002_3/LCD_monitors.shtml

    http://www.pcworld.com/resource/browse/0,cat,1087,sortIdx,1,pg,1,00.asp

    Peaches, Apr 30, 2006
  7. Master No Wei

    Peaches Guest

    Peaches, Apr 30, 2006
  8. Master No Wei

    Guest Guest

    picture quality.

    From an earlier post. native mode is very important. Each LCD monitor has
    a native mode or resolution which they are designed for. You can not change
    the screen resolution and have as sharp of display (most noticible on print
    or characters) like you can with a CRT. However, all things being equal, IF
    the resolution is what you want (i.e. 1280 x 1024) and the cost is anywhere
    close (say $100-$150) go with the LCD. My company recently made the change
    from CRT's to LCD because in the final analysis, AND counting shipping,
    LCD's were actually cheaper in the long run that CRT's.

    Guest, Apr 30, 2006
  9. Master No Wei

    Leythos Guest

    Glass screens (CRT's) are always clearer unless you buy junk. They also
    don't have fuzzy font issues when you don't use them at their native
    resolution like many LCD panels do.

    When it comes to CAD or Graphics work I use a CRT because an LCD just
    doesn't cut it for clarity.

    Leythos, Apr 30, 2006
  10. Master No Wei

    JANA Guest

    Soon you won't have a choice. CRT monitors have been going out of
    production. If you have gone shopping lately, take a look at the choices.
    Some stores don't even handle CRT monitors any more.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Apr 30, 2006
  11. Master No Wei

    JANA Guest

    Have you tried any real high end LCD monitors?

    The link below shows LCD monitors that can be used for any type of
    professional applications. These are the level of monitor that we use in our
    facilities for photo finishing and production work.

    http://bssc.sel.sony.com/BroadcastandBusiness/markets/10007/keyproduct_luma.shtml

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Apr 30, 2006
  12. Master No Wei

    Whiskers Guest

    CRTs tend to have a greater range from darkest to brightest parts of the
    image, which gives the impression of 'better sharpness'. However, I have
    never seen a CRT that is as close to truly 'flat' as an LCD.

    Whiskers, Apr 30, 2006
  13. Master No Wei

    Whiskers Guest

    LCDs can certainly manage finer resolution than that; I'm using a laptop
    with a 17" 'widescreen' 1440x900. The 'generic' Linux driver for my
    graphics card offers a maximum resolution of 1920x1200, so someone must
    think such LCDs exist.

    I have a Toshiba libretto with a 7.2" LCD whose native resolution is
    1280x768 - so a 17" screen should be able to squeeze in more than twice as
    many pixels in each direction, if the design can be scaled up.

    Whiskers, Apr 30, 2006
  14. Master No Wei

    Whiskers Guest

    CRTs tend to have a wider luminance range, ie 'more contrast', so they
    look a bit 'sharper' - all other things being equal, which of course they
    seldom are ;))

    The 'resolution' of a display is a seperate thing from it's physical size;
    you need to consider both.

    CRTs generally cope better with being set to a resolution that is lower
    than the maximum they are capable of; that can be very useful if you want
    a quick way to 'magnify' things, eg if one of your users has less than
    perfect eyesight. LCDs told to use a lower resolution tend either to get
    'blurry' or to simply make the display smaller, with a black or blank area
    that isn't used at all.

    The quoted size of a CRT is usually slightly larger than the actual usable
    area of the screen, so a 17" LCD could have as large a display as an 18"
    CRT. (The size measurement is usually diagonal, in case you didn't already
    know that).

    Whiskers, Apr 30, 2006
  15. Master No Wei

    Meat Plow Guest

    No.

    Meat Plow, Apr 30, 2006
  16. Master No Wei

    Leythos Guest

    Yes, I have, and if I take an LCD and CRT of the same quality, the CRT
    is always clearer, better, etc... We have many different LCD units in
    our clients locations, work with many different quality of units, even
    some over $2500, and I still see the same thing in them - a medium
    priced $500 CRT will present a better image than an LCD under $700. Even
    some cheap $250 CRT units out perform expensive LCD units.

    Leythos, Apr 30, 2006
  17. Master No Wei

    Leythos Guest

    And Flat, truly flat, doesn't mean must to most users. CAD users don't
    care if the screen is perfectly flat, neither do programmers, and
    neither do graphics people - as I've done them and worked with many of
    them, I can assure you that most screens (CRT) can be near flat, and
    it's enough that the flatness of an LCD doesn't make up for its lack of
    quality.

    Leythos, Apr 30, 2006
  18. Master No Wei

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In JANA spewed forth:
    Very true. When my CRT died, the local stores had almost no CRTs whatsoever.

    Toolman Tim, Apr 30, 2006
  19. Master No Wei

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Blinky the Shark spewed forth:
    I've seen the same limits in desktop LCD displays. I wonder why? The laptops
    at work (15.4" and 17" screens) have 1600x1200 resolution. I wish I could
    get that on my desktop. I'm with you - I don't need my data LARGER, I want
    more of it on the display. Of course, when working with text/numbers, it can
    be zoomed/scaled to assist with that.

    Toolman Tim, Apr 30, 2006
  20. Master No Wei

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Leythos spewed forth:
    I do both CAD and photo retouching on my CRTs and LCDs. Personally, I know
    the lines are straight, because I drew it that way. And it will be straight
    when the plotter or printer puts it on paper. So I agree - the flatness of a
    screen means very little.

    Toolman Tim, Apr 30, 2006