    fairly good PC hardware background and experience in some but not all
    Windows OSs (for example I have experience in XP but not 2000).
    Thanks.

    jch, Jan 28, 2004

  2. jch

    Glenn Guest

    I was the first person in Houston, Texas to take the A+. My company told
    me to go take it and they would pay for it. went down and took it. The
    company that writes and gives the tests has got a real money maker
    going. It's got to be the dumbest test I've ever taken.

    Glenn, Jan 28, 2004

  3. jch

    jch Guest

    Anyother comments? Yes? Hopefully more people have recommendations.....

    jch, Jan 29, 2004
  4. jch

    Ruben Guest

    I'm curious as to how most people get your certifications. I'm talking
    I think you'll find that many people learn one way, while a whole
    other group of people learn another way. For me after having dabbled
    around with computers for a year I took two weeks of reading books,
    and taking practice exams, and got my certification. I took the
    hardware and the software one week apart, just so that in between the
    two I could brush up on anything that I thought I might need more time
    with. I cant stress enough how important, the practice exams were for
    me, I took practice exams from all different sorts of vendors, and
    when I did bad on the practice exam I took my results and study the
    area that I did bad in, and the only other thing I would suggest is
    that you invest in a cheap PC that you can take apart and tinker
    around with, if you dont have one already.

    Mike Meyers A+ All in One is the book that we use to teach from at my
    company, and is perhaps the leading book in the A+ industry, but there
    are other good books out there, some find that the Mike Meyers book is
    long... and, forgive me Mike, boring. So find a book that you get the
    most from, if you type A+ into the search window at amazon.com you'll
    get many books to choose from, if you go to your local library, I'm
    sure they have something there as well.

    As far as Net+ goes, I took 2 weeks to study for that, I would suggest
    that you have some hands on experience. I'm not saying that you
    shouldnt take the test until you get hands on experience, but I do
    think that in order to really learn that networking info, your going
    to have to apply some of the concepts, rather than just reading about
    them. Mike Meyers has a book out for that as well, and again my
    comments about A+ apply the same here.

    Hope that helps some.

    Ruben, Jan 30, 2004
  5. jch

    jch Guest

    Thanks Ruben. So you studied hard for a couple of weeks and passed. That's
    good to hear. I believe I'll go the self study route as well. I do have a
    few PCs here I can play around with since I built them all anyway. I'm
    considering going on my own into the small business computer field
    (consulting, support, custom-built, etc.) I want these certifications to
    give me confidence and credibility that I've met at least some minimum
    standards. I'll start out with A+ and Network+ and go from there. Security
    is a huge issue these days. I'll do research into what is available as far
    as study guides and certifications for that area too.

    jch, Jan 31, 2004
  6. I just passed A+ Core and OS this month...here's what I used -

    I took two instructor led classes at a college using the following
    books:

    A+ Guide to Software: Managing, Maintaining & Troubleshooting
    A+ Guide to Hardware: Managing, Maintaining & Troubleshooting

    ....both by Jean Andrews. The books are pretty good. They have
    outlines that correlate the A+ test objectives to various sections in
    the book, and the books explain things pretty well for newbies and
    experienced technicians alike.

    I also used two Transcenders for exam prep. They were the old ones
    since the 3xx Transcenders were not out yet, but they still helped
    quite a bit. One note: if you use the older Transcenders to prep for
    the new exams, be sure to supplement it with good info on Win2K and
    WinXP more for the OS exam.

    HTH!

    Kael

    Kael V. Dowdy, Feb 1, 2004
  7. Forgot other thing.

    I also used Course Technology A+ Software LabSim. LabSims are GREAT!
    They are a combination of Computer Based Training tools with
    instructional videos, demos, and interactive labs where the program
    will actually emulate a situation (such as partitioning a hd or doing
    something in a BIOS). This is a wonderful tool, and I have purchased
    LabSIms for other exams too such as ones for MCSE.

    The hardware one hasn't been relased yet, but the software one is out
    there.

    Kael

    Kael V. Dowdy, Feb 1, 2004
  8. jch

    jch Guest

    Congrats on the recent pass!! Looking back do you think you needed the
    instructor led courses or just the books themselves?

    jch, Feb 2, 2004
  9. jch

    Karkucus Guest

    Karkucus, Feb 2, 2004
  10. Thanks a lot!

    As far as me personally, I don't think I "needed" it.

    Some background: I am in a specialized IT certification program at a
    technical college mainly for the MCSE/SA. A couple of other
    certification classes that are a part of my program/curriculum are A+
    and Network+. So in my case, I "had" to take them, rather than taking
    them on my own. In addition, I've been in the computer field for
    about 10 years or so as a developer, so I came in with a bit of
    knowledge already by nature of just working around computers in the
    business world.

    Of course, the instructor led courses were great (the instructor makes
    or break any class) and we got a lot of detail on real world scenarios
    that books don't always get in to.

    If I chose to do this all on my own, I would definately use more
    resources besides the books I mentioned earlier. I heard the Mike
    Myers ones are good and Exam Crams are usually on track...

    Kael

    Kael V. Dowdy, Feb 4, 2004
  11. jch

    TonicxT Guest

    I bought the book "A+ Complete" by Sybex, studied it, and aced both exams.
    Cost $70 + price of both exams

    < $500

    I would not recommend people go to schools, or bootcamps to take it; simply
    too expensive, and A+ covers basic, entry level material.

    TonicxT, Feb 9, 2004
  12. jch

    Dan H Guest

    I just passed both exams last Thursday. Took them both on the same day.
    I took a college class in hardware last Spring semester but needed
    the class for degree requirements anyway. The class did help and yes,
    the teacher makes or breaks the class. I used mainly the Exam Cram book
    and found it pretty useful. However, the information on the exam itself
    is incorrect. There are 80 questions on each exam. You get 90 minutes
    to finish and can go back and review questions. I don't know if you can
    change answers or not as I figured that I would just go with my gut if I
    wasn't sure.

    If you have some experience and are self motivate, then self study
    should be fine. Take as many practice tests as you can.

    Dan

    Dan H, Feb 9, 2004